Muscular Dystrophy Ireland
75 Lucan Road,
Youth Respite Worker [Eastern Region]
Location: MDI Office, 75 Lucan Road, Chapelizod, Dublin 20.
Reporting to: Head of Services
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) offers a range of support services nationally to persons affected by neuromuscular conditions and their families. The holder of this position will deliver a Youth Respite Service and coordinate summer camps provided by MDI to its members.
- Maintain and develop a programme of activities for youths and young persons in the H.S.E Eastern Region (Dublin, Kildare & Wicklow)) with a personal and social development focus, encouraging integration and independence.
- Develop a social programme for young adult members in the H.S.E Eastern region.
- Provide activities/workshops/youth clubs for siblings of young people who are members of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland.
- Provide transport for members attending youth activities e.g. youth club, workshops etc.
- Work with other organisations and clubs to advocate on and encourage accessibility for MDI’s members.
- Support the development of youth activity in the Eastern Health Service Executive region.
- Support the development and implementation of policies appropriate to all regions.
- Seek opportunities for ongoing provision of activities such as art, music courses, etc
- Organise outings to special events.
- To coordinate the MDI annual residential spring / summer camps for young members under 25 years of age e.g. 11-14yrs, 15-17yrs, and 18-25yrs.
- To attend the annual residential spring / summer camps as outlined above.
- To line manage designated staff during spring / summer camps.
- To maintain records and budgets for spring / summer camps in accordance with organisational policies and procedures
- To provide transport as part of the youth services programme i.e. youth clubs, school tours, social outings, spring / summer camps etc.
- To drive the MDI mini-bus to the safest standards as set by the organisation.
- To ensure the safety of all passengers and other road users.
- To maintain the MDI mini-bus to the safest standard possible.
- To liaise with the Transport Coordinator to ensure that the mini bus complies with all health and safety regulations.
- Support the recruitment of volunteers to work with the camps as per organisational policies and procedures.
- To liaise with local youth groups and any other identified service areas, as appropriate.
- Provide induction and supervision to volunteers, if required.
- Assist in the supervision of staff involved with youth groups and summer camps e.g. volunteers & student placements.
- Provide respite through the youth service for MDI members in their own home, clubs and on residential camps as and when required.
- Assist with personal care on residential camps and youth activities as and when required.
- To work as part of a multidisciplinary team with local MDI staff e.g. Family Support Worker & Driver.
- To work as part of a multidisciplinary team with National MDI staff e.g. fundraising, PR, Administration, Information support etc.
- Provide monitoring data and service evaluations as required by the Head of Services.
- Participate in national fundraising initiatives.
- Any other duties that may be required by the organisation to full fill the needs of the post.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working with young people and or delivering youth services to marginalised groups in society.
- A recognised Youth Work Qualification.
- Proven ability to plan projects and activities.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience of organising and managing people.
- Proven ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent administration and time management skills.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office Suite).
- This post requires flexibility which includes evening and weekend work.
- Due to the nature of this post a Full, clean drivers licence is essential.
- Experience of working with people with disabilities
- Familiarity with the Irish social, educational and medical systems
- Relevant 3rd level qualification
- Experience of report writing
- Experience of compiling statistics
- Organised and focussed.
- Determination, flexibility and a sense of humour.
- Commitment to the aims and goals of Muscular Dystrophy Ireland.
Terms and Conditions
- Full Time Position - 40 hours per week
- Probation period 3 months
- Pension scheme available (after 6 months service)
- 21 days annual leave (pro rata)
- This post is subject to Garda Clearance
- Salary €27,274
- Due to the nature of MDI’s youth service, flexible working is a key feature of this role, resulting in occasional evening and weekend work.
- Being available to attend a number of week-long camps is a key feature of this role.
- This role will be based in the MDI Head Office, Chapelizod, Dublin.
- The above position is subject to availability of ongoing funding
Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date - Close of business 5th April 2019
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland is an equal opportunities employer