Head of Technical Operations
Job Title: Head of Technical Operations
Reporting To: Director of Operations
Status: Three-year fixed term contract, full-time
Location: Flexible (home and office-based, minimum 3 days office-based)
Salary Scale: Salary competitive
Start date: Immediately
Probationary Period: Six months
Benefits: 25 days annual leave (exclusive of public holidays), financial support for further education, 2 days positive mental health leave annually
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week. Core hours are Monday to Friday - however as our services operate 24/7 there is a requirement to be available across some weekends, early mornings, evenings and nights.
To apply: Apply via https://workable.com/j/6C2C3E0CD8 only; no CVs accepted
About Community Creations
Community Creations is the not-for-profit company behind SpunOut.ie, Ireland’s award-winning youth information website. SpunOut.ie supported over 1 million young people in 2018. We are an energetic, dynamic and professional organisation run by young people, for young people, based in the heart of Dublin city.
Our mission to transform lives by improving access to digital resources is built on our strong belief that technology can help improve mental health outcomes in Ireland.
In 2019, Community Creations will establish a new remote active-listening text messaging service to support young people in moments of crisis. We’re putting together a team of passionate professionals to run the service and help young people in every community in Ireland.
About the job
The Head of Technical Operations is responsible for overseeing all technical aspects of the safe delivery of a crisis active listening platform primarily serving young people aged 16-34 over text and instant message.
A key member of the team, the Head of Technical Operations will be responsible for the maintenance and technical development of the service; specifically being accountable for the security and effectiveness of the platform.
This crucial role will support a newly implemented platform managing all interactions on the service. The platform will support a team of 6 full-time and 10 part-time supervisors, each monitoring and supporting trained volunteers providing the service. The Head of Technical Operations will be responsible for a robust and reliable platform, critical to the service’s success. The role will also support various supplementary systems, including those responsible for recruiting and scheduling our volunteers. In essence, this role’s charter will be to enable and increase productivity of the organisation by ensuring appropriate design, implementation, and maintenance of software and IT systems, including but not limited to: platform localisation, back-end infrastructure, Salesforce implementation, and internal and external user troubleshooting.
What will I be doing?
The Head of Technical Operations has responsibility for the following areas:
- Liaising: Acting as the team’s technical representative to the US technical support team. Ensuring bugs are fixed quickly. Understanding recent developments on the platform and ensuring that these are implemented and communicated into the Irish service. Escalating issues to US team, continuously striving to make our platform better.
- Information Security: Ensuring that the mission critical activity of keeping our data secure is always front of mind. This is an essential part of the role. Continually striving to be one step ahead and foresee any risks in relation to data and information security on the platform, working on your own initiative to both escalate and mitigate these risks. Security will be your key priority.
- Platform Roadmap and Management: Continually working with our US based technical team to understand key priorities on the roadmap for the platform and ensuring that these are implemented without issue in Ireland and leveraged to create the best service to our texters. Additionally, contributing to the development and refinement of data standards, design patterns, and best practices in data architecture.
- Project Management: Meeting tight deadlines as we go live with our service. Preparing detailed project plans for further software implementations, managing risks and internationally based resources. Preparing detailed project plans for software implementations (Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, or Kanban)
- Service delivery: Ensuring the delivery of our service, resolving issues quickly. Managing conflicting priorities. Identifying opportunities to add value. Responsibility for maintenance and review of supporting technical documentation. This position will require you to be on-call for platform maintenance and urgent IT issues affecting users
- Fostering a learning environment: Ensuring our people have sufficient technical training and all developments on our platform and supporting systems are communicated to the wider organisation. Provide technical leadership of the crisis service and take ownership for all technical delivery within the team.
Who am I?
- Qualification: You have a third level qualification in IT (e.g. Information Technology, Business Information Systems, Network Engineering) or equivalent experience. Project management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2) or equivalent experience would also be beneficial.
- Relevant service delivery experience: You have two years or more relevant experience in platform management, salesforce implementation and IT project management. Past experience leading TechOps or IT for a small scaling organisation highly desirable.
- Strong risk management experience: You can demonstrate experience of managing and mitigating technical risks, particularly in relation to data and information security.
- Knowledge: You have a sound knowledge of IT service delivery and support.
- Communications: You possess excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Calm, collected and driven: You move quickly and can take big changes in your stride. You have excellent prioritisation, time management and follow-up skills. You communicate clearly and effectively in meetings and over email. You stay focused and concise, and solve problems quickly and calmly as they arise. You are reflective, empathic, resilient and can see the bigger picture.
- Flexible: You are flexible in your approach to challenges. You are passionate about enabling and increasing productivity on a business critical infrastructure which supports an important and innovative service.
Sounds great, how do I apply?
Application is by online application form only & CVs will not be accepted. Please complete all fields of the application form. Incomplete application forms will not be considered.
To apply please fill out the application form here: https://workable.com/j/6C2C3E0CD8
Last day for receipt of applications is Sunday, the 24th of March.
Be advised that any offers are subject to reference checks and Garda clearance.
Queries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
* * *
The above job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to them from time to time.
All staff members are required to obtain Garda clearance as a condition of their initial and continued employment.
Community Creations is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
All documentation received by Community Creations will be processed in accordance with the relevant applicable data protection legislation. The information will only be used in the processing of job applications and for ongoing administrative purposes with job candidates.