NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Woodwork Instructor in The Yard
The Woodwork Instructor will work within the spirit of Solas Project, the vision of which is an Ireland where all children and young people truly know their self-worth and can take full advantage of their potential. We are achieving this through providing a range of innovative interventions that equip and empower young people to reach their full potential, live life to the full and participate fully in society. Through programmes of learning, mentoring, personal and social development we support young people to create a brighter future for themselves and their communities.
We invite appropriately qualified individuals to apply who are committed to the healthy development of young people, have a creative approach to working with our target group, and are enthusiastic about leading within a demanding youth work environment.
Job Title: Woodwork Instructor in the Yard
Duration: 12 months
Hours of Work: 10 hrs a week (over 2 – 3 mornings)
Start Date: March 2019
The Yard is a social enterprise with the aim to equip young people with skills and knowledge that will empower them to fulfil their personal and professional potential. The Yard Crew is a programme designed to build young people’s practical and soft skills with the ultimate goal of increasing their opportunity for employment. We are now looking for someone skilled in woodwork (and ideally woodturning) to support our Yard Co-ordinator to run the programme.
The Woodwork instructor will be responsible for the following:
- Delivery of desired outcomes for The Yard Crew in line with that programme’s strategic objectives.
- Develop and implement meaningful tasks that will engage and attract participants of The Crew.
- Support the Yard Co-ordinator in managing tailored development plans with participants of The Crew.
- Train volunteers and staff in woodwork skills as required.
- Together with the Yard Co-ordinator, and with the support of the Crew participants design, develop and produce products to be sold as part of the Yard social enterprise.
- Contribute to the wider strategic development of the Yard Social enterprise by playing an active role.
- Be familiar with and abide by the project’s policies and procedures, including child protection and health and safety guidelines for workers and volunteers.
- Ensure that the values and ethos of the project are reflected in a consistent manner in all activities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A recognised qualification in woodwork/carpentry an advantage
- Experience of teaching woodturning or carpentry in a formal or informal setting
- Experience of managing challenging behaviour and a desire to build relationships with young people.
- Full appreciation and active support of the ethos and values of Solas Project
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to: Ashling Golden, Solas Project, 40 Marrowbone Lane, Dublin 8 by Monday 18th February 2019. Interviews will take place on the 21st and 22nd February.