NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Community Initiatives Lead
Job Reference: CIL
What is FamiliBase?
FamiliBase is a centre for children, young people, families and the local community in Ballyfermot/Cherry Orchard. FamiliBase delivers evidence based and evidence informed programmes with and for children, young people, parents and families that support development across a number of programme areas. We also work with the local community to support community development initiatives.
FamiliBase works in collaboration with children, young people, parents, families and providers of child, youth and family related organisations/services to deliver a range of preventative, intervention and harm reduction strategies across a full continuum of service delivery. FamiliBase does this to ensure the best possible outcomes for the children, young people and parents of Ballyfermot.
The Community Initiatives Lead position requires the successful candidate to drive the work/goals/activities of the two initiatives outlined below and future community development initiatives as identified by the community of Cherry Orchard and FamiliBase Strategic Planning Processes.
The Community Initiatives Lead will report directly to the Youth and Community Supports Service and Programme Co-ordinator in FamiliBase. The programme of work will however be decided in consultation with the Horsepower and Cherry Orchard Running Club committees.
Community Development initiative no. 1. Horsepower
Horsepower is a community response to the issue of horse ownership in the Cherry Orchard area. The Horsepower committee are a group of predominantly young men being supported by FamiliBase. The committee are members of the Cherry Orchard community. Their aim is to provide a response to illegally owned equines in the area and also provide an opportunity for previously disengaged young people to participate in training and employment. Ultimately Horsepower want to develop a site in the Cherry Orchard/ Park west area for an equine facility that will rent stables at an affordable rate to local horse owners and potentially secure a social enterprise scheme and/or a social enterprise focal point.
Community Development initiative no. 2. Cherry Orchard Running Club
Cherry Orchard Running Club is unofficially in operation since 2012 when a group of local men started running as a way to support their rehabilitation. In 2016 FamiliBase were reviewing their programme and looking for ways to reach local young people not engaging in services. Running was proposed as an outreach activity to attempt to engage these young people in a health and social initiative. FamiliBase engaged with the local residents involved in running marathons and races and asked them for their support in coaching the young people for running activities. In February 2017, the junior section of Cherry Orchard Running Club was established. The Club was officially registered with the AAI in April 2017, since then it has grown from strength to strength. The club has a committee of local people currently being supported by FamiliBase.
The Community Initiatives Lead will drive the development and implementation of these two initiatives and future initiatives. The end goal being that these initiatives can operate independently of FamiliBase over time. Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons who wish to be considered for appointment to the above-mentioned position based in Ballyfermot/ Cherry Orchard.
- Each candidate must be of good character
- Candidates shall be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, ETC:
- A relevant professional qualification , QQI LEVEL 8 in one of the following areas Community Development, Youth Work, Social Care, Training and Administration, Project Management or Education
- Experience of and belief in working from Community Development Principles
- A clear understanding of the cultural context of Cherry Orchard
- Significant experience of taking community initiatives from pre- development to implementation stage
- Evident experience in working directly with communities experiencing disadvantage/inequality and an understanding of the key issues facing such communities
- A capacity to Project Manage an initiative
- Excellent organisational, administrative, communication and IT skills
- Evident experience working in collaboration / conjunction with other organisations in the development and delivery of programmes or initiatives
- Experience of or capacity to demonstrate ability to line manage staff
Experience of Sports Clubs or Equine Facilities
SPECIFIC Responsibilities of Role
Community Development Initiative no. 1. Horsepower
Work alongside the Horsepower Committee and the Horsepower Working Group to implement the objectives of the Horsepower Committee. The Horsepower Committee objectives are as follows:
- To acknowledge and support the tradition of owning horses in our community
- To provide horse accommodation in Cherry Orchard that provides for the owning and rearing of horses
- To make it affordable to pursue enjoyment of horses
- To provide a safe and friendly environment where horse owners can foster and develop their horsemanship skills
- To promote good animal welfare practice in our community
- To maintain our green spaces for the enjoyment of the community
- To acknowledge and support owning horses as a positive mental health initiative and diversionary activity
- To use this process as an opportunity for training and development for the committee members and their peers
Other Tasks related to Horsepower initiative
- Exploring opportunities under Social Enterprise for the Horsepower concept
- Lobbying for the allocation of land to progress the Horsepower concept
- Profiling the work of Horsepower at a community, local, regional and national level
- Work with animal welfare organisations to progress the Horsepower concept
- Engage with relevant structures to progress the Horsepower Concept
- Project Manage any of the developments that occur while progressing the initiative e.g. the building of stables
- Work with the committee until such time as the committee can operate independently
Community Development Initiative no. 2. Cherry Orchard Running Club
To work alongside the Cherry Orchard Running Club Committee to:
- Further develop the club structures , including committee training and development, coach training and development
- Further develop the Juniors and Beginners sections of the club
- Identify and engage new members into the club
- Progress the club to the next stages in terms of participation in races and competitions
- Develop and enhance registration, membership, attendance and insurance procedures
- Ensure best practice in relation to Health and Safety, GDPR and Child Protection compliance
- Secure funding for club activities
- Engage with the Athletics’ Association of Ireland to develop the club in line with best practice
- Work alongside the committee in their liaisons with Dublin City Council in relation to a potential site for a multi- purpose sports facility in Cherry Orchard
- Work with the committee until such time as the committee can operate independently
Other tasks related to both initiatives:
- Providing capacity building and technical support to both committees
- Identify recruit and support the training and development of volunteers and oversee the work of volunteers
- Line Management of the Community Coach for Cherry Orchard Running Club and the Stable Hand for Horsepower
- Carry out all HR related functions with regard to the line management
- Administration, recording, monitoring and programme budget management for both initiatives
- Carry out the role in compliance with relevant legislation e.g. GDPR, Health & Safety and Child Protection
- Working with and developing Social Media outlets
- Work effectively in collaboration with other FamiliBase programmes within the FamiliBase’ s emerging continuum of care.
- Work effectively in collaboration/conjunction with other organisations in the development and delivery of programmes, interventions and services
- Demonstrate capacity to promote self-care, self-management and a culture of responsibility through supportive and reflective line management structures. This includes weekly team meetings and monthly 1-1 support & supervision/line management sessions.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, the Programme and Service Development Co-ordinator or his/her nominee.
- An enthusiastic, dynamic and innovative individual with an inclusive approach to working with people
- An individual with the capacity to bring both energy and a sense of calm as the environment, staff and young people require
- An individual skilled in facilitation with an ability to promote self and team reflection
- An individual committed to equality of outcome and the promotion of social justice across systems and within communities
PARTICULARS OF OFFICE:
The position is based on a 35 hour week excluding breaks. Hours of work will include evenings and may include weekends. The office is subject to Garda Vetting. This post is subject to continued funding for FamiliBase.
DCC Grade V salary scales apply 40,213-48,495 euro per annum
Other relevant information:
- Candidates will be required to produce satisfactory evidence that they possess the prescribed qualifications where applicable.
- Only applications submitted by the closing date of 5pm on Friday the 18th of January 2019 will be considered.
- Applications and cover letter should be by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CV’s will not be accepted
Any attempt by a candidate, himself or herself or by any person(s) acting at the candidate’s instigation, directly or indirectly by means of written communication or otherwise, to canvas or otherwise influence in the candidate’s favour any member of the staff of FamiliBase Ltd. or person nominated by FamiliBase Ltd. to interview or examine applicants will automatically disqualify the candidate for the position being sought.
This position is funded by Dublin City Council
FamiliBase Ltd. is an equal opportunities employer.