Job Title: Christmas Shoebox Appeal Senior Officer (fixed term 3 years, with option for renewal)
Reporting to: Christmas Shoebox Appeal National Manager
Hours per week: 38
Salary: €35,000 - €44,000 dependent on experience
Date Position Available From: 1st June 2019
Team Hope is an Irish, Interdenominational Christian Development Aid Charity, working with children, and through them, into their families and communities in Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union and Africa.
Best known for our Christmas Shoebox Appeal, Team Hope also helps children all year round through a variety of community development projects in over a dozen countries. We have a proven history of being able to reach families facing poverty using our network of long-standing local partners. We work with people facing poverty irrespective of race, religion, ethnicity or background.
Team Hope’s Christmas Shoebox Appeal (CSA) is an annual campaign through which Team Hope sends gift filled shoeboxes from thousands of individuals in Ireland to children in other countries who otherwise would not receive a present. In 2018 Team Hope sent 259,079 Shoeboxes to 12 countries in Eastern Europe and Africa. We rely on volunteers in 50 local teams across the country who promote the campaign at a local level and collect and check donated shoeboxes before packing them for shipping.
The Christmas Shoebox Appeal Senior Officer will be responsible for supporting the running of Team Hope’s annual Christmas Shoebox Appeal (CSA). Reporting to the Christmas Shoebox Appeal National Manager this position will assist in the recruitment, management and retention of volunteers who are vital to the success of the CSA, with a specific focus on developing new volunteer teams in key areas. In addition, this role will seek to specifically build and strengthen engagement from churches for all of Team Hope’s work. The CSA Senior Officer will engage in the promotion of the CSA through a variety of media as well as supporting campaign planning and ensuring policy frameworks and reporting requirements are adhered to throughout the campaign.
This role will be based in the Team Hope office and will involve evening and weekend work along with occasional international travel. Team Hope will work with the successful candidate to manage this, or consider alternative working arrangements, as we recognise and value the need for work-life balance on our staff team.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform either now or in the future.
Team Hope is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Christmas Shoebox Appeal Senior Officer Responsibilities
Volunteer Policy and Management
- Alongside the CSA National Manager to support and manage CSA coordinators and local teams, ensuring efficient communications and the provision of capacity and training
- To work with the CSA National Manager and the Executive Administrator to develop a clear strategy for recruitment and retention of volunteers as part of the CSA
- To build and develop CSA teams in new locations across both Ireland and Northern Ireland
- To support the CSA National Manager in ensuring the effective adoption and application of Team Hope’s policies and guidelines by volunteer teams
Project Planning and Operations
- To support the CSA National Manager in the planning of the annual CSA campaign
- To support the CSA National Manager in the operation of the CSA campaign, including communication with supporters, reporting, monitoring visits and troubleshooting
- To plan and lead distribution trips, involving volunteers and key supporters, to countries receiving shoeboxes
Media and Promotion
- To promote Team Hope and the CSA through presentations or talks to groups as required
- To support the CSA National Manager in the collection of case studies and stories for use in media and social media, including liaison with external production companies, videographers or photographers etc.
- Directed by the CSA National Manager, to lead the design process for Team Hope’s print media, including promotional leaflet and posters and annual campaign video
- To support the Schools Coordinator in implementing social media as part of the CSA campaign
- Manage archive of photographs of CSA including clear records of media consent
- To engage directly with churches to increase their support of and engagement with Team Hope
- To work with the Business Development Manager to develop a strategy on how to better engage churches in Team Hope’s work
- To give presentations and talks to church groups and develop resources linked to Team Hope’s work for their use
Person specification: skills, experience and qualifications
Team Hope is looking for a person with a passion for helping children alongside a proven record of working with volunteers or managing people, planning projects or campaigns and experience of communication to a variety of audiences using different media formats.
- Demonstrable identification and alignment with Team Hope’s Christian ethos and development vision
- Demonstrable understanding of the Christmas Shoebox Appeal and its aims
- 3rd level degree qualification
- Proven experience of working with volunteers or managing people
- Proven ability to deliver performance objectives
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to build, empower and work with a team of people
- Proven ability to communicate with a range of audiences both in writing and through presentations or public speaking
- Experience of the co-operation and flexibility necessary for working in a small organisation
- Experience of working or volunteering in a role which requires innovation and flexibility
- Experience of collecting and summarising information for reports
- Knowledge of implementing policy frameworks such as health and safety, child protection or volunteering etc.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Skype, Google Apps
- Prior experience of volunteering as part of the Christmas Shoebox Appeal
- Experience of planning projects or campaigns
- Experience in financial management or basic book-keeping
- Experience of managing and recruiting volunteers
- A knowledge of international development
- Experience working or volunteering in a public facing role
- Proven and successful marketing and communication skills
- Experience of digital marketing and social media
To apply for the position of Christmas Shoebox Appeal Senior Officer please send the following documents by email to Peter Heaney, CEO (email@example.com ):
- Cover letter, outlining how your experience, skills and abilities (using specific examples) meet the essential criteria for the post and as many of the desirable criteria that are applicable to. Please also provide information on your reason for applying.
- Full CV and contact information.
- Contact details of 2 referees who know you in a professional capacity. One referee should be your current employer but they will not be contacted without your permission prior to any offer.
Closing date for applications: midnight on 10th May 2019
Interview dates: First round interviews 23rd/24th May 2019; Second round interviews 30th May 2019
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application.
By applying for this role you are providing consent for Team Hope to use and keep information provided on this application or elsewhere as part of the recruitment process and/or personal information supplied by third parties such as referees, relating to the application or future employment. Information provided will be used to make a decision regarding suitability for this position and if successful the information will be used to form personnel records and will be retained for the duration of your employment. If you are not successful Team Hope will destroy your personal information gathered during this process.