The Youth Centre is managed by Youth Work Ireland Cork and it caters for young people aged 7-25 years from the Gurranabraher/Churchfield area
To actively empower the contribution of all young people through their critical participation in local youth services.
Aims & Objectives:
Gurranabraher/Churchfield Youth Development Project aims to provide a community based response to young peoples’ needs, by offering them the opportunity to contribute to and participate in social education, artistic and recreational activities.
The primary objective is to equip disadvantaged young people with the knowledge and skills necessary for appropriate participation in society. Programmes are developed through consultation with young people and a local advisory committee, which are aimed towards meeting the needs of the socially excluded young people through a process of empowerment. Programmes are both centre based and community based.
Other objectives are:
- To provide an effective and suitable youth service in the Gurranabraher / Churchfield area.
- To develop good youth work practice
- To raise awareness around issues relevant to young people, with a view to influencing policymaking.
- To provide significant training programmes to volunteers and staff, while raising awareness with the wider community on youth related issues.
- To work in partnership with other organisations and groups in the community who share a concern over the welfare of young people.
- To establish new programmes in the community aimed at meeting the needs of young people, by providing social, artistic and educational outlets.
- To provide professional, confidential and responsive information, which will enable young people to become actively involved in making informed decisions that may help them cope with everyday life and, play an important role in society.
- To provide support to LGBT youth worker
- To provide support to workers with Gurranabraher Band room project.
Youth Work Ireland Cork
Youth and Community Resource Centre
11 Gurranabraher Road
Tel: 021 4399862
Fax: 021 4399204