The aims of our project are to acquire the Muings Lace School (Barnatra, Ballina, Co. Mayo) from Udaras na Gaeltachta, to restore, adapt and extend the existing premises for the purpose of a small folk museum/heritage centre with a community facility.
We plan to
- create an environment of awareness, interest and recall for the community, past employees, visiting and returning emigres;
- host lectures/workshops/demonstrations in traditional crafts;
- exhibit Irish crochet lace, hand knitting, related artifacts;
- boost tourism and cater for special interests;
- cater for schools and an outreach program.
Fis na Muingi-Iorras
Barnatra Post Office, Barnatra, Ballina, Co Mayo.
Helen Moreau, chairperson
Tel 086 303 8 465