NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
Shine is currently seeking a Chairperson with considerable governance experience and previous experience of being on the board of a national voluntary organisation.
About Shine: Shine is a voluntary mental health organisation that works to shape better policies and services for all those affected by mental ill health. We support the rights of individuals and groups to enhance their recovery. Shine promotes access to services, challenges negative attitudes and behaviours and delivers a variety of programmes and services to support all those affected by mental ill health. Shine is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status.
Our vision is of an Ireland where all those affected by mental ill health have the right to recovery and the opportunity to achieve the best quality of life.
Our mission is to promote individual and family recovery.
For more information please visit our website: https://www.shine.ie/
Responsibilities of the Chairperson
- Lead the board
- Ensure smooth running of board meetings
- Promote good governance among fellow board members
- Ensure that the organisation complies with the Charity Regulator’s Governance Code
- Ensure the organisation complies with company and charity law
- Provide supervision and support to the CEO and liaise with the CEO to keep up to date on the affairs of the organisation
- Act as a spokesperson and advocate for the organisation where required.
- Ensure that the risks to the organisation, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders are at an acceptable level.
- Understand the financial position of the organisation and ensure that it operates within the agreed accounting policies
- Provide input to the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Previous board experience
- Experience within the voluntary sector
- Knowledge of mental health sector
The board meet 6 times a year in Shine’s Maynooth office and on occasion at Shine’s other regional offices. Meetings take place every second month on the third Saturday of the month between 11am-1pm approx. Attendance also required at AGM.
Additional time requirements are for preparation and reading of all materials for board meetings, and possible involvement in sub-committees.
The role is unpaid, however reasonable expenses are paid in line with Shine’s expense policy.
If you are interested in becoming Shine’s Chair and have the relevant experience outlined above please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter stating why you are interested to: Dolores Kavanagh, firstname.lastname@example.org