CHAIRPERSON, BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
SAPLINGS SCHOOL FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM & COMPLEX NEEDS, CARLOW
Saplings Special School, Carlow is a co-educational, specialist school, providing quality education for students with autism and complex needs. The school is one of a group of five such schools under the patronage of Saplings Ltd., an independent, not for profit, public interest company with charitable status (CHY14453). Each Saplings school offers a range of child-centred, autism specific education which draws on a range of evidence-based interventions.
The term of office for all Boards of Management in Irish schools is due to terminate on 30 November 2019. The Saplings School, based in Killeshin, Carlow, is seeking expressions of interest for the position of Chairperson for the next 4-year term.
The chairperson will lead the board of management and liaise with and provide support to the Principal in their role.
Duties of a school board of management as follows:
- Act in accordance with Ministerial policy.
- Uphold the ethos of the patron.
- Draw up the school plan and ensure its implementation.
- Appoint the principal, the teachers and other staff.
- Ensure that the school fulfils its functions as set out in the Education Act 1998.
- Promote contact between the school, the parents and the community and facilitate and give all reasonable help to a parents' association in its formation and its activities.
- Be responsible for the school's finances.
- Ensure that child protection and welfare are taken into account in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. The board must ensure that the Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools are fully implemented by the school.
- Ensure the school has a Code of Behaviour and an anti-bullying policy.
Knowledge of the special education sector and particularly autism and evidence-based interventions would be desirable.
THIS IS A VOLUNTARY POSITION.
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: OCTOBER 15th 2019