Background to Youth New Ross (YNR)
YNR was founded in 1994 by a number of professionals working in New Ross town. From their work they identified a need for supports for young people and mothers, which they could participate in within the local community. Initially, work with pre-teen and teenage young people, young mothers and a women’s group was how YNR responded to this need.
What is the Youth Project in YNR?
This is a Community Based Youth Project.
What do we do?
This project involves young people through informal educational activities in group work sessions using structured programmes, the arts, cooking, discussion, sport etc.
More specifically, we aim to;
- Develop self-confidence by involving young people in activities that are achievable and fun.
- Facilitate confidence building through group work.
- Create opportunities to develop and mature by assuming responsibility for group decisions.
- Create a time for young people to be themselves.
- Support young people in their personal development.
- Provide a safe place where young people can express their opinions and receive constructive feedback and support.
- Create a culture that respects difference and encourages the use of creative skills
- Foster a safe culture so that young people can express opinions and emotions
- Create a space for young people to receive support and accurate information
Overview of the Youth Worker Volunteer Role
A Youth Work Volunteer’s role is to build a trusting and supportive relationship young people which they do through a programme of youth work based activities. Youth Work Volunteers encourage young people to try new activities and work towards the goals they have set for themselves.
Skills, Experience and Qualities required
No experience is necessary but a positive, flexible and reliable approach with good interpersonal skills will be an advantage. Full training, supervision and ongoing support are provided.
2 hours per week for a minimum of one year.
Youth New Ross (YNR), The Bullawn, New Ross, Co. Wexford
Benefits to the Volunteer
Youth Worker Volunteers who volunteer with The Youth Project in YNR have an opportunity to:
- Encourage change in the life of a young person
- Be a positive and inspiring role model
- Experience new opportunities and share their stories and skills
- Develop practical experience in the youth work field
- Develop their personal and professional skill set
- Develop and enhance their group work and facilitation skills
- Make a difference in a young person’s life
If you are interested in joining our team of volunteers, please contact Kenny Malone (Youth Work Manager) by email email@example.com for an application form.
Closing date for applications is Friday June 28th, 2019