The Anne Sullivan Centre in Brewery road, Stillorgan opened in 1996 as the first residential home for people who are deafblind in Ireland. We provide residential, outreach and day services to 12 adults who are deafblind with multisensory impairments and support them to pursue meaningful, active and fulfilling lives. The Anne Sullivan Centre aims to embrace the uniqueness of each individual service user by offering person centred plans and activities that promote independence, communication, equality and inclusive decision making.
Overview of the Volunteer Driver Role
We are currently recruiting Volunteer Drivers to provide transport for our service users so they can fully participate in community life and activities that are important to them. The Volunteer Driver will drive the Anne Sullivan Centre service users on pre arranged outings using the Anne Sullivan Centre’s own transport. These outings can include driving to local shopping centres, cinema, swimming pools, social events, hospital appointments or trips home. Outings can vary in length from 90 mins to 3 hours approx.
The service users are accompanied by their own support staff during these outings.
Skills, Experience and Qualities required
- Full Clean Driver’s Licence ( a “B” licence is sufficient)
- Be over 23 years of age
- An interest in supporting people with disabilities to live full and active lives
- Enjoy driving and have a patient and empathic personality
- A Good level of spoken English or Irish Sign Language
- Commitment to the ethos of volunteering
A minimum commitment of 2 hours a week for 1 year is expected. Some of our volunteer drivers prefer to drive a regular pre arranged weekly trip while others offer their services for a variety of outings as and when available. Outings can happen daytime or evening.
Most outings will depart from and return to The Anne Sullivan Centre , Brewery Road, Stillorgan, Co Dublin
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Personal development
- Opportunity to help people with disabilities achieve their goals and access their community
- Induction and training provided
- Support and supervision provided
- Reimbursement of any out of pocket expenses on submission of receipts
- Respect and acknowledgement as making a valuable contribution to the organisation
If you are interested in joining our team of Volunteer Drivers please contact Stephen Sheppard (Volunteer Coordinator ) by email at email@example.com or phone 0864034578 for more information before 28th February 2019
All our Volunteer positions are subject to reference checks and Garda Clearance