NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
AkiDwA-The Migrant Women’s Network Ireland is looking to recruit two interns for the following roles, Policy and Communications
Established in 2001 AkiDwA is an ethnic minority-led national network of migrant women living in Ireland. The Organisation promotes the equality of migrant women in Irish society, free of gender and racial stereotyping and applies a holistic approach to integration, promoting a migrant and gender-specific approach to public services as well as encouraging migrant women’s access to mainstream services and initiatives
The intern must be available to work for 6 months for at least 21 hours per week. These internships are unpaid but will get local public transport reimbursement and daily lunch allowances. Internship will commence by October 2018 and end by April 2019 with possibility of extensions.
1. Position: Policy Officer (Intern)
The policy officer will support the organisation work in contributing to national and European policy on issue that relate to migrant women
- Gather evidence and produce policy documents and presentations, including policy memos, briefs, and other policy and informational documents for both internal and external purposes;
- To create and develop strong relationships with key actors, stakeholders, and partners to maximize impact and resources in furthering AkiDwA work
- Undertake background research; provide information and analytical support to policy-related work being undertaken by other staff in AkiDwA as required
- Keep abreast of Research and policies development and debates in Ireland and Europe, relevant to the Issues pertinent to AkiDwA, particularly on, gender based violence, gender discrimination, civic and democratic participation, employment/ Entrepreneurship
- To be responsible for writing and updating briefing papers and information leaflets on relevant policy issues
- Work in collaboration, with other agencies and networks to engage in joint advocacy activities on identified key policy areas where agreed they are in line with organisational strategic priorities
- Initiate and support communications work that helps inform and educate a wider audience about issue that pertain to migrant women
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree or equivalent qualification.
- Full knowledge and understanding of all strands of equalities, human rights and related issues.
- Proven ability to produce high quality documents and reports / research skills.
- Computer literate.
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to co-ordinate numerous tasks and work to strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication, persuasion and influencing skills and partnership development.
- Contributing to the on-going development of policies in relation to equality and justice
- Identifying and evaluating resources to be used in the promotion of migrant women, and equality & diversity in general.
- The ability to relate to and communicate effectively with a wide range of women from diverse background and within policy arenas
2. Position: Communication Officer (Intern)
Communication Officer is been sought to assist with managing the organisation’s internal and external communication. Tasks will range from updating the organisation’s website, Facebook page, and Twitter account, to writing and distributing E Bulletin, press releases and emails to public officials, members and organisations.
- Manage and update AkiDwA Social Media ( website, Twitter and Facebook)
- Monitor and post on blogs, forums, and social networks
- Online outreach and promotion using Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Manage media contacts list
- Draft and issue press releases, information notes, and written materials for dissemination to National media
- Publish disseminate and Manage AkiDwA E-Newsletter
- Make a list of useful contacts
- Create and use communication tools
- Update and manage AkiDwA data base
Qualifications and skills required are:
- A strong capacity for analysis, communication and information management
- Excellent communication skills
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English
- Third level qualification preferably in communication
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team worker and good listener
- Ability to take initiatives and be flexible and adaptable in a changing environment
- Good writing and social skills
- Computer literacy (Photoshop and HTML)
- At least 2 years of experience in some or all elements of the above mentioned job description
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application together with Curriculum Vitae via email: firstname.lastname@example.org closing date for receipt of applications is Friday the 19th October at 5pm.