For the last 3 years, Friends of the Earth has brought a team of volunteers to Ireland's biggest music, comedy and spoken word festival - Electric Picnic.
Here's the deal:
In return for volunteering each of the three days for 6 hours each day (the earliest you would be working is 10am, and the latest 9pm), either petitioning on the Waste Reduction Bill, working the Cup Refund Points or engaging festival-goers on what waste goes in what bin, you get -
- A free ticket to the entire festival.
- Free transport by private coach from Dublin (Merrion Square South) on the Thursday at 2:30pm, there and back (reimbursement if you take the bus from elsewhere in the country)
- Eco-camping or crew camping (TBC)
- A dinner on the evening of August 30th
- A free dinner with the other volunteers on the final evening
In return, you are required to:
- Attend one training session before the festival on either August 16th (6-8pm, Dublin) or 19th (1-3pm, Dublin) - Afterwards you will pay the deposit, the link to which will be emailed to you.
- Camp with the rest of the volunteers in the eco-campsite/crew camping (TBC)
- Sign a volunteer agreement at the training session
- Volunteer for a total of 18 hours over the weekend (3 x 6 hour shifts) plus team briefings
- Pay a fully refundable deposit*
- Be over 18
- Supply all of your own camping equipment
- Be available to volunteer from 10am on the Friday morning, August 31st until the evening of Sunday September 2nd
Here's what the volunteers have achieved so far:
- 2015 - 60,000 plastic cups returned
- 2016 -139,855 plastic cups returned
- 2017 - 265,048 plastic cups returned
So, if you are enthusiastic and willing to chat to festival-goers about the need for a strong Waste Reduction Bill, help them figure out which bin their waste goes in, and be part of a real-life deposit return scheme in action, then we want you to join us from the afternoon of August 30th until the evening of Sunday 2nd September.
*We need to ask for a deposit because we can't take the risk that volunteers won't show up, we hope you can understand that! The deposit will be €150, to be paid in one instalment. If you cannot afford this, please get in touch with us as we don't want financial difficulties to prevent anyone from taking part.