Focus Ireland is currently recruiting for School Visit Ambassadors to give talks to schools around the country, specifically in the areas of Sligo, Waterford, Cork, Limerick and Wexford.
Reporting to: School Talks Co-Ordinator, Advocacy Department
Duration: 12 months
Time Commitment: Time commitment will depend on volunteer’s availability and demand for school talks. Adhoc, as and when needed during school hours. Estimated 4 p/w at most
- To deliver schools visits (4 visits a week at most)
- Educate students on the issues of homelessness.
- Encourage students to volunteer in community fundraising and other activities.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- Deliver engaging and educational secondary school visits locally. These talks aim to help develop students’ understanding of homelessness and also to break down any stereotypes they may have about people who are homeless.
- Motivate students to participate in community fundraising in their local area or organise an event in their school.
- Report weekly to the school talks co-ordinator.
- Update the school visit database and advise of any follow up needed.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to empathise with the cause and connect with teenagers.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to Focus Ireland’s mission.
- Experience in delivering school workshops or programmes is not essential but preferable. All training will be provided.
- Ability to work with and motivate young students.
- Self-directed and an ability to work independently.
- Professional but welcoming manner.
- A team player with an open and flexible attitude.
Training, Support and Supervision
- You will receive an induction to the organisation and the event prior to starting the role.
- You will receive training on how to conduct school visits.
- You will receive on-going support from the school talks co-ordinator.
- Personal development.
- Opportunity to build up your work experience.
- Opportunity to work in and learn about the voluntary sector.
- Opportunity to work with a successful national charity.
- The chance to contribute towards the personal development of the young students you will be working with in schools.
- While developing your work experience you will be helping raise needed funds towards homelessness in Ireland.
To apply, please fill out the Volunteer Application Form and return to HR Dept, Focus Ireland, 9-12 High St, Christchurch, Dublin 8
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like more information about Focus Ireland, please visit https://www.focusireland.ie/