Autumn Training Events 2019
Merchants Quay Ireland is pleased to offer 6 Training events from September 2019 to December 2019. These workshops will cover a broad range of areas in the addiction field from one-to-one addiction counselling practice to group work, to subjects such as Cocaine addiction, to Problem Gambling, and the psychodynamics of problem drug and alcohol use. The aims of the workshops are to equip and empower participants with the requisite skills, knowledge, and theory base to respond more effectively to the issues of drug use and addiction. The workshops are for anyone with a serious interest in the area of substance use and who interacts in either a paid or voluntary capacity with people who may have addiction problems. CPD points are provided for attendees.
Mr Peter Kelly
Merchants Quay Ireland
12th September 2019—11th December 2019;
The Carmelite Center
56 Aungier St
Certificates of Attendance are awarded by Merchants Quay Ireland
How to Apply
Course application forms are attached to this advertisement, and can also be obtained by contacting the Training Office in Merchants Quay at 01-5240936 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information and application forms please contact Peter Kelly at 01- 5240936, or email: email@example.com
Autumn Training Events 2019
- 12 ×week Certificate in Addiction Studies: 12th September 2019--28th November 2019. 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Cost: €500.00. Closing Date: 29th August 2019.
- 5 ×week Group Work Training: (one half day for five weeks) 15th November 2019-13th December 2019. Cost: €250.00. Closing Date: 1st November 2019.
- 1 ×day Psychodynamics of Addiction Workshop: 25th October 2019. 10 a.m.—4 p.m. Cost: €90.00. Closing Date: 11th October 2019.
- 1× day Addiction & Gambling Workshop: 8th November 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: 90.00. Closing Date: 25th October 2019.
- 1 ×day Cocaine Addiction and its Effects: 5th December 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: €90.00. Closing Date: 21st November 2019.
- 2 × day Motivational Interviewing Training: 10th December 2019/11th December 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: €180.00. Closing Date: 26th November 2019.
Mr Peter Kelly MSc psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Advanced Diploma in Supervision, BpH (Philosophy), Dip Social Studies, M.I. trainer, Reality Therapy Certified is the Training Officer with Merchants Quay Ireland. Peter works in the area of addiction and substance misuse and has been involved in the provision of both drug counselling and drug education for the past twenty years. His clinical background is psychoanalytic psychotherapy and he is an accredited member of both the A.C.I. (Addiction Counsellors of Ireland) and the Association of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Ireland (A.P.P.I.). Peter is also trained in Motivational Approaches to problem drug use, and his areas of interest include both the role of the unconscious in addiction and how people manage and overcome addictive cycles
- Give participants a theoretical and practical understanding of group processes from interpersonal and relational perspectives and their linkages to addiction contexts
- Explore the efficacy of group work as a treatment modality and vehicle for change in addiction settings
- Reflect on the preconditions that facilitate the group work modality as an effective treatment approach.
- Have an appreciation of psychodynamic perspectives and be able to reflect on the role of unconscious processes in addiction.
- Develop an understanding of process addictions particularly addiction to gambling and be able to reflect on treatment interventions and strategies.
- Have developed an understanding of both the recreational and dependent aspects of cocaine use and its effects and explore interventions from both abstinent and primary health care perspectives..
- Be able to take people through a helping intervention at a one-to-one level, and the ability to reflect on skills and competencies learned in terms of listening reflectively, developing discrepancy, rolling with resistance, managing ambivalence, responding to change talk, and working towards a plan