One-day Plain English training course.
Provided by the National Adult Literacy Agency.
An introduction to Plain English
Plain English is a style of writing and layout that the intended reader can understand after a single reading. It will help you clarify what you’re trying to say and, as a result, help your reader get your message exactly as you intended. Presenting information in plain English includes using suitable words, adopting a direct style, avoiding unnecessary jargon and designing your written information to make it easier to follow.
Through real-world examples and exercises, we aim to make the training as relevant and informative as possible. Regular exercises give participants the opportunity to apply what they learn in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere.
Should I attend the course?
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want to ensure you are communicating as clearly and effectively as possible?
- Are you sometimes frustrated answering the same questions because the information to customers is not clear enough?
- Do you find it difficult to develop clear reports, policies, promotional, training or web materials?
- Do you want to get quality training in how best to communicate, provided by leaders in plain English editing and training?
If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions, then this course is for you.
When is it on?
We have three dates still available in 2019:
- Wednesday 12 June, 9:30am to 3:30pm
- Wednesday 18 September, 9:30am to 3:30pm
- Wednesday 16 October, 9:30am to 3:30pm
Where is it on?
Venue: Carmelite Community Centre, 56 Aungier St. Dublin 2
€120 per person (€100 per person for community and voluntary organisations)
What will I receive?
On the day, we will have a training-pack for each person who attends. In the pack you'll have:
- a manual with training information and exercises,
- a poster with our plain English guidelines,
- a booklet with design tips.
How do I book?
Please go to nala.ie and see Upcoming Events. You will need to book in advance.
Why is NALA involved in Plain English?
We provide professional services to help organisations remove literacy-related barriers to customers accessing their services or to staff who may have difficulties reading or writing.
Contact for more information:
For more information on our Plain English training and editing services, contact:
Phone: 01 412 7915
Visit our website http://www.simplyput.ie/ for more information and free downloadable resources.