Understanding Trauma – 2 Day Workshop
Before mental health practitioners can work in depth with a client’s trauma they need an understanding of both what trauma is and how to engage with it safely before embarking on in-depth work. This 2 day workshop will look at those initial requirements - knowledge of the dynamics of trauma and establishing safety.
- Understand the key components of psychological trauma;
- Be able to identify the many sources of trauma;
- Know the difference between developmental trauma and traumatic injury;
- Recognise the many symptoms of trauma;
- Have a good understanding of the physiology of the brain and its role in trauma;
- Understand the reaction of trauma clients;
- Recognise the body’s role in trauma and learn how the body tries to work through trauma and use some basic body-orientated techniques to help the body do this safely
- Have a good understanding of the immediate and long-term effects of PTSD;
- Be introduced to why talking therapies may not help in this initial stage of trauma work;
- Start to work with establishing safety through resourcing & boundary setting.
- Understand the concept of the ‘window of tolerance’ and its importance;
- Understand the “three trauma types” of clients and the implications for therapy and be introduced to three safety protocols and given the opportunity to work with them;
- Be able to identify symptoms of autonomic nervous system arousal and learn how to separate physical from emotional arousal in order to establish safety;
This workshop is for mental health practitioners interested in learning more about the subject area.
Certificate of Attendance and Participation
CPD: 12 Hours
- Thursday, 17 October 2019
- Thursday, 24 October 2019
9:30am – 4:30pm
€180.00 (15% discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors: €153.00)
IICP College, Killinarden Enterprise Park, Killinarden, Dublin 24.
BSc (Hons) Psychology, Dip Counselling & Psychotherapy, (MIAHIP, ECP) works as a psychotherapist in private practice in Dublin. She also works as a psychotherapist with Hesed House, a group facilitator with Suicide or Survive.
For more details please visit our website: www.iicp.ie/cpdcourses/trauma