Spring Training Events
Merchants Quay Ireland is pleased to offer 8 Spring Training events from February 2019 to May 2019. These workshops will cover a broad range of areas in the addiction field from one-to-one addiction counselling practice to group work, to subjects such as Cocaine & Opiate addiction to Gambling, the pharmacology of addiction and the psychodynamics of problem drug and alcohol use. The aim of the workshops is to equip and empower participants with the requisite skills, knowledge, and theory base to respond more effectively to the issues of drug use and addiction. The workshops are for anyone with a serious interest in the area of substance use and who interacts in either a paid or voluntary capacity with people who may have addiction problems. CPD points are provided for attendees.
Mr Peter Kelly
Merchants Quay Ireland
28th February 2019 to 17th May 2019;
The Carmelite Center
56 Aungier St
Certificates of Attendance awarded by Merchants Quay Ireland
How to Apply
Course application forms are attached to this advertisement, and can also be obtained by contacting the Training Office in Merchants Quay at 01-5240936 or via email email@example.com
For further information and application forms please contact Peter Kelly at 01- 5240936, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Training Events 2019
- Become familiar with the main divisions of psychoactive substances, their common effects and the distinctions between drug use, misuse, and drug dependence.
- Have developed an understanding of the principles and practices of harm reduction and their use as a mode of intervention with problem drug use.
- Have gained an understanding of primary health care perspectives regarding problem drug use particularly in the area of safe injecting techniques and the protocols that underpin it.
- Know the basics of modern pharmacological research and the effects of both legal and non-legal drugs on the brain and central nervous system.
- Have an appreciation of psychodynamic perspectives and be able to reflect on the role of unconscious processes in addiction.
- Develop an understanding of process addictions particularly addiction to gambling and be able to reflect on treatment interventions and strategies.
- Have gained a good understanding of Motivational Interviewing, its theoretical underpinnings, influence, and development.
- Will have achieved a level of competency in the core skills and be able to begin, maintain, and conclude a helping intervention.
- Have an understanding of the Wheel of Change and be able to situate the cycles of drug/alcohol use within its framework.
- Will have developed a proficiency in the areas of reflective listening, dealing with resistance/ambivalence, the development of discrepancy, promoting client self-efficacy, and working towards change.
Outline of Workshops
- 2 day Motivational Interviewing Workshop 28thFebruary 2019-1st March 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: €180.00. Closing Date 14th February 2019.
- 5×week Group Work Training (one half day for five weeks) 7th March 2019-4th April 2019. Cost: €250.00. Closing Date 21st February 2019.
- 12 ×week Certificate in Addiction Studies: 11th April 2019-27thJune 2019. 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Cost €500.00. Closing Date: 14th February 2019.
- 1 ×day Psychodynamics of Addiction Workshop. 29th March 2019. 10 a.m.—4 p.m. Cost: €90.00. Closing Date: 15th March 2019.
- 1× day Addiction & Gambling Workshop 5th April 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: 90.00. Closing Date: 22nd March 2019.
- 1 ×day Pharmacology of Addiction Workshop 12th April 2019. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost: €50.00. Closing Date: 29th March 2019
- 1×day Cocaine Addiction Workshop 10th May 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: €90.00. Closing Date: 19th April 2019.
- 1 ×day Opiate Addiction and its Effects 17th May 2019. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: €90.00. Closing Date: 3rd May 2019.