NOTE: This item has expired and will soon be unavailable for viewing.
International Men's Health Week (MHW) always begins on the Monday before Father's Day and ends on Father's Day itself. During 2019, it will run from Monday 10th until Sunday 16th June.
It is celebrated in many European countries, as well as in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and a number of other places worldwide. The overall aims of MHW are to:
- Heighten awareness of preventable health problems for males of all ages.
- Support men and boys to engage in healthier lifestyle choices / activities.
- Encourage the early detection and treatment of health difficulties in males.
But why is there a need to hold a Men's Health Week? ... Males constitute almost 50% of the population on the island of Ireland and, therefore, deserve to have a gender lens focused upon their specific health needs. Research shows that these men experience a disproportionate burden of ill-health and die too young ...
- Local men die, on average, up to four years younger than women do.
- Males have higher death rates than women for all of the leading causes of death.
- Poor lifestyles are responsible for a high proportion of chronic diseases.
- Late presentation to health services leads to a large number of problems becoming untreatable ...
Indeed, while many of these conditions are preventable, their prevalence amongst men may, in fact, rise in the future. However, this is not a lost cause. Much can be / is being done to improve this situation.
The starting point for this year’s conversation about improving the health of males is to recognise and acknowledge that MEN’S HEALTH MATTERS. However, this is not enough on its own. It also needs to be followed-up by action, and this requires effort.
Therefore, during this week, everyone is asked to MAKE THE TIME and TAKE THE TIME to do something realistic and practical that will make a positive difference to the health of both themselves and the men and boys that they have contact with and influence over.
MHW 2019 offers an ideal occasion to focus upon this issue. Are you up for the challenge?
Please use the links below to find out everything that you need to know about MHW 2019 ...
Men's Health Week 2019 - A Toolbox for Action (PDF, 737KB)
Men's Health Week 2019 Press Release (PDF, 573KB)