The Alzheimer Society of Ireland: National Helpline Volunteer
The Alzheimer Society of Ireland works across the country in the heart of local communities providing dementia specific services and supports and advocating for the rights and needs of all people living with dementia and their carers. Our vision is an Ireland where no one goes through dementia alone and where policies and services respond appropriately to the person with dementia and their carers, at the times they need support. www.alzheimer.ie
Overview and responsibilities of the Helpline Volunteer Role
The Alzheimer Society of Ireland wishes to recruit and train Helpline volunteers to expand our National Helpline service. The Alzheimer Society of Ireland’s National Helpline is a confidential information and support service for people with dementia and their families, carers, anyone concerned about their memory and those working or studying in the field
The primary role of the Helpline volunteer is to provide information and support in a safe and confidential environment.
- To provide accurate information & support in a non-directive, non-judgmental manner.
- To make a record of each call and carry out any action required.
- To ensure caller confidentiality within the Helpline team.
- To give reasonable notice of non-availability.
- To attend quarterly meetings and training sessions.
- To seek back-up and support from the Alzheimer Society of Ireland staff if needed.
- To regularly check emails for up-to-date information before the start of your shift.
- To adhere to Helpline policies and procedures.
Skills, Experience and Qualities required
- Good Listener
- Computer literate
- Fluent English
During your time volunteering with the Alzheimer Society of Ireland, you will be asked to participate in training relevant to your role, some of which may be mandatory. Once trained, the commitment expected will be 2 shifts (7 hours) per month and we ask for a minimum of one year commitment.
Training will be based in Blackrock in Dublin and the role will be Hybrid, both from home and/or from our National Office in Blackrock.