Solas Project: European Solidarity Corps Mentor
European Solidarity Corps Mentor
Every year at Solas Project we have three European volunteers who move to Ireland and take on a pivotal role in our organisation. We are looking for someone external who could act as a neutral mentor for these young people. You will meet them outside of their volunteer hours, for a walk / coffee, or online Zoom / phone calls / video calls. This can be flexible to suit you for example it can be a weekday morning, a Friday or a weekend day. You will receive support from our Volunteer Manager who will provide some information on the role and thereafter check in with you on a regular basis.
We are looking for a female and a male volunteer to start in September 2022.
WHAT'S INVOLVED IN THIS ROLE?
- Build a mentoring relationship with one European Solidarity Corps participant (aged 18 – 29) who has moved to Ireland for 12 months to partake in volunteer work with Solas Project.
- Together with the young person create goals via the tool of the Youth Pass available online.
- Encourage accurate and honest reflection of their performance and learning achieved on an ongoing basis.
- Meet with the European Solidarity Corps participant once a month in a casual setting to talk and see how they are coping on a personal and professional level.
- Be willing to be available online or over the phone for occasions where the mentee needs additional support.
- Closely liaise with the organisation and the Volunteer Manager passing on feedback from the European Solidarity participant where required.
WHAT'S REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Empathy and listening skills.
- Previous mentoring experience on some level is essential.
- Be concerned with the social and personal welfare of the intern.
- Be willing to provide support / assistance in conflict or challenging situations.
- Provide feedback to the Volunteer Manager at Solas Project.
TIME COMMITMENT REQUIRED FOR THIS ROLE
You’d be required to meet with the participant(s) once per month (in person or video /phone call). We are flexible as to when this happens, can be morning, evening or weekend, depending on their schedule(s).
START DATE: September 2022
DEADLINE for APPLICATION: Monday 22nd August 2022