Care Alliance Ireland: Board Chairperson
Board Chairperson (Dublin 7)
Care Alliance Ireland is looking for a new Chair of the Board of Directors to replace the current Chair, who is coming to the end of their term in 2022.
Care Alliance Ireland is the national network of voluntary organisations supporting family carers. Our vision is that the role of family carers is fully recognised and valued by society in Ireland. We support member organisations in their direct work with family carers through the provision of information, development of research and policy, by sharing resources and instigating opportunities for collaboration.
There are in the region of 500,000 family carers in the Republic of Ireland. Family carer support is provided by a number of organisations, including those dedicated solely to carer support, and others who support carers as part of their response to individuals with specific conditions. We work with our 95 member organisations and other agencies to support them in their work with family carers. Our legitimacy derives in part from our membership base which includes a wide range of organisations currently providing services to Ireland’s family carers. Our membership is comprised of both large and small, regional and national organisations.
To find out more please see www.carealliance.ie
The responsibilities of the Chair of Care Alliance Ireland are as follows:
- Effectively communicating the vision and purpose of the organisation, to ensure the Board functions well and that there is full participation at meetings.
- To plan and Chair meetings in accordance with the governing document
- To liaise with the executive director and to keep up to date on the affairs of the organisation
- To bring impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision-making
- To ensure that decisions made at meetings are implemented
- To be aware of current issues that might affect the organisation
- To advocate for and represent the organisation at external meetings and events if required
To take on this opportunity, you must have a record of accomplishment, at a senior level in your field and ideally have previous experience as a Chairperson and / or a Board Director, with the vision to support the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in implementing the vision, mission and values of the organization. The Chair is expected to be a member of the Audit & Risk subcommittee. Full Chairperson training will be given to the successful candidate.
Care Alliance Ireland operates an equal opportunities policy.
Qualities and skills required:
- Good leadership skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
- Ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up
- Good timekeeping
- Tact and diplomacy
- Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a governing body
- Background, preferably with some experience in Human Resources
Term of Office:
An initial four months as vice chair, to enable handover, and then the appointment will be for a period of up to a total of three years. A further term of three years may be an option.
There will be 5 board meetings and a number of sub-committee meetings a year.
Meetings are held online at present, but usually take place in Carmichael House, Brunswick Street, Dublin 7. In 2022, it is anticipated that a blended approach to meetings will take place in Carmichael House and over Zoom.
For an informal discussion or if you are interested in the position, please contact email@example.com.