ALONE: Telephone Support Volunteer
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
ALONE is a national organisation that strives to enable older people to age at home, safely and securely, for as long as they wish. We work with all older people, including those who are lonely, isolated, frail or ill, homeless, living in poverty, or are facing other difficulties.
If you are an older person who would like to learn more about this service, please call ALONE’s National Support Line on 0818 222 024. Available seven days a week from 8am – 8pm.
ALONE’s Telephone Support and Befriending Service provides telephone contact to an older person from a volunteer. It is a free friendly, support and information service and ensures that recipients are safe and well in their home.
Volunteers provide companionship and support such as appointment reminders, medication prompts, and information on local activities and relevant initiatives. All volunteers are trained and receive support from ALONE staff. Where additional needs arise that require a more hands on approach, a request for support can be made to ALONE’s Support Coordination Services.
- To commit to at least one, regular 2 hour shift per week, making calls to older people for the minimum of one year. The shift will be between 9am and 4pm and are generally: 9am-11am/11am-1pm and 2pm-4pm Monday - Friday.
- To provide support and information for the older person where necessary
- To attend training and follow the ALONE guidelines throughout your time with ALONE
- To input call information into a computer logging system
- To report to ALONE if there are concerns for the older person’s health, safety or welfare
- To share relevant updates with older people from ALONE
- To be mindful of the general wellbeing of the older people and provide a positive experience during the call
- To participate in check in calls with staff in order to discuss any issues, address challenges with your role and access support
- Work as a member of a team with staff and other volunteers and participate effectively when required
Skills, Requirements & Attributes:
- You must be over 18 years of age
- Garda vetting will be carried out by ALONE and two references are required
- A strong commitment to the ethos of volunteering
- To have a genuine interest in Older People
- To be respectful and committed to the values and aims of ALONE
- A caring, understanding and friendly attitude
- To be patient, reliable and have good listening and communication skills
- To be non-judgemental and respect the confidentiality of the older person
- Be comfortable inputting information onto the ALONE computer database (training will be provided)
- A good broadband connection, use of a laptop or desktop pc
- A phone package that allows you to make free calls or low cost calls to landlines
ALONE are actively recruiting Telephone Support and Befriending Volunteers nationwide.
If you would like to find out more about the Telephone Support & Befriending volunteer role, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.