ALONE: Visitation Support and Befriending Volunteer
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
ALONE is a national organisation that strives to enable older people to age at home, safely and securely, for as long as they wish. We work with all older people, including those who are lonely, isolated, frail or ill, homeless, living in poverty, or are facing other difficulties.
If you are an older person who would like to learn more about this service, please call ALONE’s National Support Line on 0818 222 024. Available seven days a week from 8am – 8pm.
ALONE’s Visitation Support & Befriending Service matches older people who would like additional social contact with volunteers who provide companionship through a weekly visit. We work with a number of older people in your area who would like for someone to visit them. Are you that someone?
Support & Befriending Volunteer ALONE
Min Hours: 1-hour weekly
Commitment required: 1 year
Visitation Support & Befriending is a supported one-to-one relationship between a volunteer and an older person who has been linked in with ALONE.
ALONE comply with all up-to-date Covid-19 restrictions. Home visits will only take place when HSE guidelines allow. In the interim, all volunteer visits will take place over the phone.
- To commit to weekly visits to an older person who you are matched with, for a minimum of 1 year, providing companionship.
- To attend training, and follow the ALONE guidelines throughout your time with ALONE.
- To provide basic practical support for the older person where necessary. (Volunteers are not substitutes for home-help or care assistants and should not take on these roles)
- To support the older person when attending ALONE social events.
- To support the older person to integrate in their community – such as encouraging them to join local groups and initiatives for older people.
- To be an advocate for the older person where necessary. This might mean making a phone call on their behalf or helping them to fill in a form.
What's required for this position:
You must be over 18 years of age
Garda vetting will be carried out by ALONE and two references are required.
A strong commitment to the ethos of volunteering
Good interpersonal and communication skills
Must be reliable, flexible, respectful, patient and kind
Must have an interest in working with older persons and a genuine understanding and respect for their needs
ALONE are actively recruiting Visitation Support and Befriending Volunteers in the following areas: Carlow, Clare, Cork, Donegal, Kerry, Kildare, Mayo, Offaly, Limerick, Louth, Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford areas.
If you would like to find out more about the Visitation Support & Befriending volunteer role, contact us on the details below.