Irish Men’s Sheds Association: Volunteers Needed
The Irish Men’s Sheds Association (IMSA) was set up in January 2011 with the purpose of supporting the development and sustainability of Men’s Sheds on the Island of Ireland. We are a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. IMSA is a member-based organization formed to share information freely between Sheds and support communities and organizations wishing to establish a Shed.
The IMSA as a National organization represents the collective issues of Men’s Sheds in Ireland. Each Volunteer will be asked to act on behalf of IMSA to provide support to registered sheds and new developing sheds within their designated county.
Your role as an IMSA County Volunteer will entail you working with all registered sheds within your county or, where necessary and with your agreement, sheds outside your county as designated by IMSA
- Experience of being part of and working with Sheds or Community Groups.
- Strong understanding of the ethos and values of IMSA
- Good IT skills – ability to prepare and send in weekly reports
- Knowledge of local county and key agencies
- Professional but welcoming manner
- Commitment to the ethos of volunteering and community initiatives
- An ability to interact effectively via telephone and email with a wide variety of organisations
- Full driving license and access to transport
- 2 / 3 Hours per week but it can be flexible to suit your schedule.
- Phone Allowance of €15 per month
- Travel Allowance available
Training & Induction
Induction training will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about IMSA and familiarise you with your volunteer role.
- Induction training will include:
- History and Structure of IMSA and its principles and values
- General Health and Safety
- Introduction to IMSA policies and procedures
- Additional areas specific to IMSA
NOTE: During your time volunteering with IMSA, you will be asked to participate in training relevant to your role, some of which may be mandatory. Mandatory training will relate to the specific work a volunteer agrees to carry out. Role specific training will be outlined by IMSA
The Main duties and responsibilities will include.
- To provide support and assistance to individuals and groups in their county who have, or wish to, set up Men’s Shed.
- To promote the Ethos, Aims and Objectives of the Irish Men’s Shed Association at local and county level.
- To support the development and implementation of county networks quarterly in your County
- To ensure that the contact details for each shed in your county are accurate and changes communicated to the volunteer coordinator and CEO so systems can be updated.
- To develop and manage relationships with key local agencies including ETB, Local Authority, Local partnership and Leader companies, local HSE workers.
- To provide weekly activity reports to the volunteer coordinator electronically
- To attend volunteer training events held by IMSA
- To communicate IMSA news through your local sheds
- To promote IMSA initiatives within the county sheds e.g. Sheds for Life, Farmers Journal, Flo Gas, Mercury Engineering, etc.,
- To liaise with the Irish Men’s Shed Association about promoting Men’s Sheds through local and regional media
- To communicate to IMSA feedback, issues that arise from the men’s sheds in your county
- Contribute to the overall work and activities of the Irish Men’s Shed Association