Solas Project: European Solidarity Corps Mentor
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
European Solidarity Corps Mentor
Every year at Solas Project we have three European volunteers who move to Ireland and take on a pivotal role in our organisation. We are looking for someone external who could act as a neutral mentor for these young people. You will meet them outside of their volunteer hours, for a walk / coffee, or online Zoom / phone calls / video calls. This can be flexible to suit you for example it can be a weekday morning, a Friday or a weekend day. You will receive support from our Volunteer Manager who will provide some information on the role and thereafter check in with you on a regular basis (in person and over the phone).
We are looking for new volunteers to start as soon as possible end of September 2021.
WHAT'S INVOLVED IN THIS ROLE?
- Building a mentoring relationship with one European Solidarity Corps participant (aged 18 – 22) who has moved to Ireland for 12 months to partake in volunteer work with Solas Project.
- Together with the young person create goals via the tool of the Youth Pass which is available online.
- Encouraging accurate and honest reflection of their performance and learning achieved on an ongoing basis.
- Meet with the European Solidarity Corps participant once a month in a casual setting to talk and see how they are coping on a personal and professional level.
- Being willing to be available online for occasions where the mentee needs additional support.
- Closely liaising with the organisation and the Volunteer Manager and passing on feedback from the European Solidarity participant where required.
WHAT'S REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Empathy and listening skills.
- Previous mentoring experience on some level is essential.
- Be concerned with the social and personal welfare of the intern.
- Be willing to provide support / assistance in conflict or challenging situations.
- Provide feedback to the Volunteer Manager at Solas Project.
TIME COMMITMENT REQUIRED FOR THIS ROLE
You’d be required to meet with the participant(s) once per month (in person or video /phone call). We are flexible as to when this happens, can be morning, evening or weekend, depending on their schedule(s).
START DATE: September 2021
DEADLINE for APPLICATION: Friday 17th September