Voluntary Service International: Treasurer
VSI is seeking a Treasurer to join their Board.
Voluntary Service International is currently offering an exciting opportunity to join our Board of Directors to oversee the effective responsibility for the financial management of the organisation. The individual must be passionate and committed to promoting peace, solidarity and social justice through volunteering. Prior Board experience is not essential and support will be provided. Our Directors do not receive a payment for their services however reasonable expenses will be paid.
This is a great opportunity to learn more about VSI, governance and support of a national and international NGO and charity.
Duties of the Treasurer:
- Member of the Board
- Responsible for overseeing the effective financial management of the organisation
- Works with the CEO and bookkeeper to provide the annual budget
- Ensures development and Board review of the financial policies and procedures
- Works with the CEO and auditors on the production of the Annual Audited Accounts, for discussion and approval in the first instance by the Board and subsequently by the AGM
- Responsible to the Board for the discharge of its obligations in relation to accounts.
General duties of Board members:
- Comply with the Charity’s governing document
- Ensure the charity is complying with its charitable purpose for the public benefit
- Act in the best interest of the charity
- Act with reasonable care and skill
- Manage the assets of the charity
A candidate for Treasurer should have:
- The financial skills, knowledge and experience to oversee VSI’s finances and carry out the other duties of Treasurer below. This will include a thorough knowledge of financial management;
- The ability to participate in strategic and management decisions at Board level and provide financial advice;
- An understanding of the needs and working of a small voluntary non-profit organisation;
- The ability to commit to the time necessary to carry out the role effectively. This is likely to be a minimum of 2 hours a week, including regular meetings with the CEO, reporting to Board meetings and the other duties in the role description, but may increase at certain times in response to particular pressures.
It would also be desirable to have:
- Experience of managing the finances of a small, voluntary organisation similar to VSI, as Treasurer or financial manager, though not essential;
- Knowledge of the work of VSI.
Board Meetings: There will be 6 board meetings and 6 sub-committee meetings a year in addition to our AGM. Meetings are currently held online and will continue online for the foreseeable future.
Application: In addition to a CV we would like all applicants to include a cover letter outlining why they would like to put themselves forward specifically for this role. Please send your CV and cover letter to Helen at firstname.lastname@example.org