HUGG: Non-Executive Director of Finance
Director of Finance
The Role: Non-Executive Director of Finance
HUGG is seeking to recruit someone to fill the role of Non-Executive Director of Finance on the Board. The successful candidate will be a qualified accountant with prior experience working in a similar role, either in a commercial organisation or another charity. HUGG is volunteer led and while there is a plan to recruit a small number of full-time employees, there are currently no paid staff. As such the person in this role must also be prepared to assist with the management of a small number of routine financial transactions. The time commitment, outside of Board meetings, is variable but typically no more 4-5 hours per month.
HUGG has the vision that anyone bereaved by suicide can find hope and healing. Our mission is to realise that vision by providing information, telephone support and local peer support groups led by volunteers with lived experience. We also support research to better inform public policy and improve bereavement services. We collaborate with professionals and other organisations working in the bereavement sector to advance best practice. We raise public awareness about suicide bereavement, be a voice for those bereaved by suicide and advocate for change in how state institutions engage with those bereaved by suicide.
Shared Leadership, Governance and Oversight Responsibilities of All Board Members
- An understanding of, and commitment to, our mission and values
- Serving as a Trusted Advisor to the executive director and Board members
- Contributing to the evaluation, impact and performance of HUGG
- Ensuring compliance with our governing document and its charitable purpose
- Acting in the best interest of the Charity and with reasonable care and skill
- Commitment to all legal and fiduciary responsibilities, ensuring compliance with statutory obligations and ensuring best practice in corporate governance
Specific Responsibilities of this Role
- Safeguarding HUGG’s assets and ensuring overall financial stability
- Managing and monitoring cash flow, accounts and other financial transactions
- Assisting in budgetary planning and monitoring expenditure against budget
- Preparation for Audit, as required
- Financial reporting (Board, funders, other interested parties) using SORP
- Ensuring that financial practices are in line with regulations and legislation
- Provide guidance to the executive Director and Board on the continued development and enhancement of the internal financial control framework
- Preparation of the annual financial statements for the CRO
- Supporting the board on finance issues, regulatory compliance with the CRO and the Charities Regulator
This is a voluntary role.
Directors serve a three-year term from the date of their appointment and are eligible for one additional term of three years. There are eight board meetings a year and scheduled outside normal business hours. Meetings are held in Dublin or online.
If you feel motivated to join us at HUGG and have the relevant skills and experience please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered Charity No. 20204480, Company Registration No. 640420