Crosscare Volunteer Programme: Community Foodbank Assistant Volunteer
Volunteer Role Title: Community Foodbank Assistant Volunteer
Crosscare Service: Community Food Bank: A Crosscare initiative that collects and stores food for distribution to individuals and or families affected by food poverty within a local community. The aim is to provide quality, nutritional food to those identified as “in need”.
Volunteer Manager: Marie Convey: Community Foodbank Coordinator
Volunteer Role: Community foodbanks open 1 morning per week for parcel distribution. Volunteers can be involved on the specified foodbank day and/or other prepacking days.
Tasks (*foodbank day task)
- To sort donated food and make food parcels ready for distribution
- To provide a warm welcome to each client and/or distributing organisation who access our service *
- To transfer food items from pre-packed parcels into client shopping bags *
- To support the coordinator in maintaining the foodbank to a high standard of quality including; cleaning/tidying shelves, stock taking & rotation and adhering to HACCP guidelines
- To administer foodbank paperwork (optional)
- To support the coordinator in the promotion and organisation of Food drive events in the local community (optional)
- To maintain open communication with volunteer manager including; cancellation of shifts and handover
- To Adhere to HACCP guidelines
- To observe Crosscare Health & Safety Procedures
- To respond to difficult situations appropriately as guided by the staff team.
- To respect our clients’ right to confidentiality in our relationship with them as per the Crosscare Confidentiality and Code of conduct policies
- To observe clear professional boundaries in all relations
- To promote respect, diversity and equal opportunity.
- To be able to volunteer as part of a team.
- To attend volunteer check in’s/meetings to give feedback on your volunteering experience.
- To commit to volunteer times for agreed time commitment.
- We are looking for friendly task orientated volunteers who are can be flexible and supportive.
- English level: Intermediate
- Please take into consideration that this role can be a little physically demanding i.e. packing & moving parcels.
- Experience working/ volunteering with vulnerable adults
Support & Learning opportunities offered to volunteer:
- Gain an understanding of the workings of a community Food Bank works to support people experiencing food poverty and how it operates within the overall work of the Crosscare agency
- Gain experience volunteering in a positive volunteer & staff team environment
- Thorough local Induction and training, Manual handling and Crosscare Induction (compulsory)
- Access to Crosscare Community College courses & in-house training (optional )
- On-going onsite support
- Regular 1-1 check in’s with Volunteer manager & Quarterly volunteer team meetings
- Reference provided after 6 months
Vol Opportunity 1: Jobstown (On the grounds of The parish of St. Thomas Church Dublin 24)
Jobstown: Wed 9am-12.30pm
Commitment Duration: 6 months
Application & Screening Process:
- Completed Application form
- X2 Character References
- Informal interview
Request Application Pack:
T: (01) 2360011 Ext: 151