Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Volunteer Centre: Biodiversity and nature enthusiasts: we need you!
Min Hours: 2 hours weekly
DLR Volunteer Centre is delighted to announce a new partnership with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council's Biodiversity section. This year we are launching the 'Gardening for Biodiversity' pilot project, which aims to build a community of volunteers who are taking small steps to protect and encourage biodiversity in their own gardens / area. The project was inspired by the 'Gardening for Biodiversity booklet' compiled by Laois County Council. We believe that this project will help us to build habitats for our wildlife which will increase biodiversity. It will also support our local citizens to keep well and bring a sense of purpose during this COVID period.
To support this pilot project, we are seeking biodiversity experts and enthusiasts to act as advisers to citizens who wish to take part. You may have a biodiversity qualification, be studying towards a degree or have a lifelong interest in gardening and supporting nature.
Your role as part of the DLRVC biodiversity team will be to participate in activities including:
- Supporting volunteers keen to take action to support biodiversity in their gardens or local area.
- Answering queries by email from volunteers taking part in the project
- Helping to build a webpage full of useful resources and FAQs to guide volunteers (content only - no website experience required!)
- Advocating for the project and helping to communicate our message
- Encouraging volunteers to share their stories with us and record species sightings
- Carrying out desk research when required
- Helping DLRVC and DLRCC guide, develop and build the project
- Encouraging volunteers to participate in new initiatives as they come onstream, e.g. the DLR Hedgehog survey.
Please click here for more information.
How to apply:
Please email Briege George, Volunteer Engagement Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience and why you feel you are a good fit for this role. If you have been involved in any similar initiatives, we would love to hear more about them.
Please also indicate your availability to participate. We expect this pilot project to run from February to April 2021.