Solas Project: Solas Project Internship
Solas Project Internship (Volunteer position)
ABOUT SOLAS PROJECT
Solas Project is a charity (CHY 17385) based in inner city Dublin. Our vision is to see an Ireland where all children and young people truly know their self-worth and can take full advantage of their potential.
Our programmes specifically target children at risk of early school leaving due to social and educational disadvantage, and aim to provide purposeful activity in a caring and secure environment in an attempt to meet the physical, emotional and intellectual needs of the children.
One of our main activities is an after school programme which caters for 35+ children (aged 5 – 13 years) in three locations in Dublin 8. The Club strives to be a home away from home sitting around a table to have a meal, helping with homework, and doing a fun activity together.
WHAT'S INVOLVED IN THIS ROLE?
We accept student placements and internships from across Ireland and Europe. This year with travel restrictions in place due to Covid19 we are reaching out to anyone who is considering a gap year locally and seeking experience in the area of youth and community work, social care, social work, childcare, education or anything related. We will offer expenses, but this is an unpaid role.
- Engaging with the children, one-to-one and in groups, initiating and leading activities
- Preparing and serving a meal to children
- Supervising and motivating children to complete their homework
- Cleaning up programme space
- Administration tasks
- Attend bi-monthly team meetings and one-to-one supervision
- Be familiar with and abide by the project’s child protection policy and health and safety guidelines
- Ensure that the values and ethos of the project are reflected in a consistent manner in all activities
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Be positive and energetic and someone who shows initiative
- Enjoy interacting and playing with children
- Feel strongly about contributing to create a caring and safe environment
- Gently encourage all children to participate in and enjoy activities
- Be reliable, patient, resilient and flexible
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 6 months to a year (flexible)
START DATE: September 2020 (flexible)
HOURS REQUIRED: 20 – 30 hours per week Monday - Thursday
WHAT EXPERIENCE WILL YOU GAIN?
- Working with young people from an area with high social need is rewarding in many ways, from seeing the change that you can make by being a key role model in their lives to creating fun with the children on a daily basis.
- This is an opportunity to build up your skills in leadership and managing challenging behaviour working one on one and in larger groups with children who have high emotional and intellectual needs.
- You will be working as part of a larger international team and be treated equally and fairly as we live out our values of love, hope, justice and joy!
We are continuing to run our After Schools programmes whilst schools are open. We are following all of the government childcare advice adhering to restrictions. You will be asked to practise social distancing with other adults and wear face coverings at specified times.
INTERNS WILL BE PROVIDED WITH THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTS:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Mentoring and Supervision
- Ongoing training opportunities
SCREENING DETAILS FOR THIS ROLE:
- Garda Vetting
- CV and cover letter
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS VOLUNTEER ROLE, PLEASE CONTACT EMILY@SOLASPROJECT.IE