Solas Project: Educational Support Volunteer - After School’s Club
Educational Support Volunteer at our After School’s Club
Would you like to make a difference to the next generation? Here's your chance to be part of something bigger, to provide a consistent, home away from home, safe place for children to come to every day after school.
The children aged 5 - 13 come from challenging backgrounds. 'The Club' is a place for them to grow and flourish. A place where they can discover what they're good at. A place where they can dream about their future and know that they are loved.
As a volunteer, you'll be inspired in the process of getting to know each of the individual children seeing the impact that a consistent secure environment can have on their, sometimes, turbulent lives.
What’s involved in volunteering?
At Solas Project we rely on our fantastic and committed team of volunteers.
- Sitting down with children at meal time
- Helping clear up plates and cups (packing the dishwasher)
- Supervising groups of 2-3 children for homework time, affirming their efforts and giving them some pointers (but not all the answers)
- Gently encouraging children to get involved in the activities and providing a listening ear to those who are reluctant to participate
SUMMARY: your role is to be there for the children, engage with them, listen to their stories, ask them to tell you more, laugh with them and try not to take anything too personally remembering that they are children.
What will I gain?
This is a perfect opportunity to gain experience if you're interested in youth work, social work, teaching, psychology, community outreach work or childcare. It's also a chance to feel like you are contributing to redeem society's socio economic imbalances.
We are looking for someone who…
- Enjoys interacting and playing with children.
- Is compassionate and understanding.
- Brings a sense of enthusiasm and energy.
- Is reliable, patient, resilient and flexible
A prior exposure to either young people or vulnerable people in a disadvantaged context is a great advantage but not a requirement for this role.
We ask that you commit one afternoon a week (Mon to Thu, 2pm – 6.30pm) for the minimum of one school term
Screening details for this role:
- Garda Vetting
- Informal Interview
If you are interested in this volunteer role, please contact email@example.com