Samaritans Ireland: Board Members
Samaritans Ireland is looking for Board members with strategic vision, independent judgement, and commitment to delivering our vision that fewer people die by suicide. Board members will have an independent eye and the ability to challenge and bring fresh ideas to the board. In particular, we are looking for members with experience of either fundraising, or marketing and communications.
The Samaritans Ireland Board is a key body for supporting the strategic direction of Samaritans Ireland. We are seeking applicants who will work well as part of a complex organisational structure, support the effective functioning of the board, and will bring specific expertise to help Samaritans Ireland implement our strategy.
We are seeking a board member with fundraising experience who will:
- Bring a substantial background as a senior charity Fundraiser with understanding and experience of charity fundraising at strategic and operational levels.
- Demonstrate overall leadership and drive as a member of the Board with the responsibility to ensuring the development of the overall governance of the charity’s fundraising functions, working closely with the Executive Director for Ireland, Samaritans UK Executive Director for Income Generation and volunteer leadership.
- Work with existing fundraising group, working closely with other board members and Samaritans Ireland volunteer leadership, to grow income across Ireland (NI and ROI) for both Samaritans Ireland centrally (based in Usher’s Quay, Dublin) and for branches.
- Oversee grant seeking and research prospective donors and potential fundraising campaigns.
We are also seeking a board member with marketing, communications or public relations experience who will:
- Bring a strong background in marketing (including digital marketing) or public relations, with prior experience of, or interest in, the not-for-profit sector.
- Provide leadership on the development and implementation of an integrated marketing and public relations plan to strengthen Samaritans Ireland brand identity.
- Oversee the ongoing development of Samaritans Ireland marketing and communications strategy in conjunction the Executive Director for Ireland and Samaritans UK.
- Grow Samaritans Ireland reach to a variety of audiences to help us fulfil our vision.
- Assist with the creation of a marketing and fundraising strategy that will allow us to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences including the media and key influencers.
Applicants for these roles will have experience of senior executive or governance roles and preferably have experience of membership of a Board of Directors.
About the role
Term: Samaritans Ireland is currently undertaking a strategy and governance review. We currently anticipate board members being appointed for a period of three years, with the possibility of a second three-year term.
Location: The role is home based and may involve some travel within Ireland to attend 4-6 board meetings a year. Due to COVID-19 board meetings are currently held by video conference.
Remuneration: The role is voluntary with no remuneration. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
Please return a copy of your CV with a completed application form to email@example.com by 5.00pm on Wednesday 12th August. Please include a personal statement on how you meet the experience, knowledge and skills set out in the role description. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview by video conference, to take place week of the 18th August. Interviews are likely to take place in the evening.
About Samaritans Ireland
At Samaritans, our vision is that fewer people die by suicide. We believe it is preventable and that by working together we can give people the support they need before they reach crisis point. Samaritans Ireland covers both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and is, in effect, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samaritans as a whole.
We are one of the most trusted charities in the UK and ROI, and we answer a call for help every six seconds. We have around 175 staff and more than 20,000 volunteers based across 201 branches in the UK and ROI. Samaritans Ireland has 10 staff, over 2,000 volunteers and 20 branches, giving emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We don’t just hear you, we listen.