Law Society of Ireland / The Wheel: Cert - Charity Law, Trusteeship and Governance
Start Date: 10 March 2023 at 10:00 AM
Assessment: 2,500-word written assignment (85%) and continuous assessment (15%)
Delivery Method: Lectures and workshops on Fridays and Saturdays. Also available to view on demand.
CPD Hours: The number of hours of CPD that you may claim in relation to this course will depend on the way in which you access each of the individual sessions. For further information and the CPD booklet, see CPD scheme.
Course Leader: Suzanne Crilly, Solicitor, Course Leader: S.Crilly@LawSociety.ie.
Members of The Wheel get a 10% discount.
On completion of this training programme, participants will have attained deep knowledge and insight into the following:
- Establishing a charity: legal structures & registration requirements;
- Governance codes & regulatory requirements;
- Managing risk;
- Managing finances;
- Board responsibilities;
- Fundraising codes & procurement;
- Employment law, HR and volunteer policies;
- Keeping on top of data protection issues.
Programme structure and approach to learning
The charity sector in Ireland is facing many challenges due to the impact of Covid-19, in particular the effect it has had on fundraising and service continuity. Additionally, the establishment of the Charities Regulator, increasing regulatory & funding requirements (including the introduction in late 2018 of the Regulator’s Charities Governance Code), and developments on the horizon for the sector in terms of the Charities (Amendment) Bill 2022 herald a period of significant changes to the sector in Ireland.
This course, which represents a collaboration between the Law Society of Ireland and The Wheel, Ireland’s national charity association, provides practitioners and those working in charitable, social enterprise and community organisations with an overview of the law and best practice in the relevant areas. The course has a very practical emphasis and will equip participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to maintain integrity and uphold standards.
The Certificate in Charity Law, Trusteeship and Governance programme is based on the following module scheme and covers key themes as listed below:
Module 1: Introduction
- Recent trends in the charity sector in Ireland,
- Regulation of charities and the Charities Act 2009,
- The legal framework & legal structures for charities.
Module 2: Finance & Fundraising
- Legislative framework for fundraising,
- Regulation of & best practice for fundraising,
- Financial reporting: Statutory requirements,
- Charities Statement of Recommended Practice (SORP).
Module 3: Governance
- Charities Regulator’s Charities Governance Code,
- Implementation and related issues,
- Risk assessments and managing risk.
Module 4: Strategy and management
- Management, human resource and volunteer policies,
- Charities & corporate governance,
- Data protection issues,
- Employment law,
- Outcomes approach,
- Procurement and tendering.
Our learning approach and the use of an online forum ensure that attendees can learn both from lecturers and from the knowledge sharing and peer-to-peer aspect that is encouraged in interactive sessions.