IICP College: Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapeutic Studies
IICP Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapeutic Studies
Remote/Blended Learning options available
Due to the current government-issued social distancing requirements, our college has been successfully transformed into a remote/blended learning community for programme delivery. Irrespective of the format, the delivery remains on the cutting edge of best practice in counselling and psychotherapy education and training.
Our Certificate Programme is the perfect entry point for those considering a career in counselling and psychotherapy as it contains an excellent mix of theory, skills and personal development. All IICP teaching staff are therapy practitioners, which means they put their teaching into a real-world context.
Upon completion, learners should be able to:
- Demonstrate broad elementary knowledge of two main therapy approaches; Person Centred Therapy and Choice Theory/Reality Therapy;
- Describe the evolution of counselling and psychotherapy from historical to contemporary perspectives;
- Discuss mental illness and its treatment, including modern therapeutic approaches;
- Identify the scope and limitations of counselling and psychotherapy;
- Appreciate basic ethical considerations for working with others;
- Describe the essential components of a therapeutic relationship;
- Engage in simulated practice of basic counselling practice;
- Apply core counselling and psychotherapeutic skills in simulated practice;
- Participate in reflective exercises in one-to-one and group settings;
- Consider the role of the self in the therapeutic relationship;
- Recognise the limitations of one’s own knowledge, skills and competencies; and
- Communicate effectively in academic and practice settings.
This programme is suitable for those either working in the helping professions or interested in seeking to develop their awareness of what is involved in training as a counsellor/psychotherapist.
- A qualification recognised at level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) such as the Leaving Certificate is required for entry onto this programme.
- Those with substantial life experience can also apply under our recognition of prior learning and experience policy.
The programme consists of three introductory modules in the subjects of Counselling Theory, Counselling Skills and Personal Development. It is a highly interactive programme, delivered through a variety of teaching approaches such as lectures, group discussion, experiential work, individual exercises, and self-directed learning.
There are two methods of delivery, Option 1 is block delivery, (Friday evening class and two full teaching days on Saturday and Sunday). Option 2 is Thursday – Sunday delivery (Some Thursday Evenings & Sunday full days) Each module carries its own assessment, which is based on a continuous assessment strategy.
Student Benefits & Support
As our certificate is conferred at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), it evidences the rigour required for a quality programme of learning. The dynamic mix of theory, skills, group work, practice and personal development ensures learners grow academically, professionally, personally and interpersonally within frameworks that are on the cutting edge of best practice.
Validation of Award
This Certificate is a Special Purpose Award validated by QQI at level 6 on the NFQ. 20 ECTS Credits
Course Dates – Block Delivery
- Friday 02-October-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Saturday 03-October-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Sunday 04-October-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Friday 16-October-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Saturday 17-October-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Sunday 18-October-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Friday 13-November-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Saturday 14-November-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Sunday 15-November-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Friday 11-December-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Saturday 12-December-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Sunday 13-December-2020, 9.00am-5.00pm
Autumn - Thursday-Sunday
- Sunday 08-November-2020, 9.30am-4.30pm
- Thursday 12-November-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Sunday 22-November-2020, 9.30am-4.30pm
- Thursday 26-November-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 03-December-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Sunday 06-December-2020, 9.30am-4.30pm
- Thursday 10-January-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 17-January-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 14-January-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 21-January-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 04-February-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 11-February-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 25-February-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 04-March-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 11-March-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 25-March-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
- Thursday 01-April-2020, 7.00pm-10.00pm
€1300 (Including €50 QQI Fee)
For more details or to book on line, please visit our website: www.iicp.ie/courses/certificate
or contact the IICP Office
Phone: 087 905 5330
Director of Registry & Operations
Phone: 086 0499154
Phone: 086 2609989