IICP College: Two-Day Online Workshop on Understanding Trauma
Two-Day Online Workshop on Understanding Trauma
Comprehensive workshop providing a thorough understanding of what trauma is and how to engage with it safely
Due to current social distancing guidelines, this course will be delivered online.
Before mental health practitioners can work in depth with a client’s trauma they need an understanding of both what trauma is and how to engage with it safely before embarking on in-depth work. This 2 day workshop will look at those initial requirements - knowledge of the dynamics of trauma and establishing safety.
- Understand the key components of psychological trauma;
- Be able to identify the many sources of trauma;
- Know the difference between developmental trauma and traumatic injury;
- Recognise the many symptoms of trauma;
- Have a good understanding of the physiology of the brain and its role in trauma;
- Understand the reaction of trauma clients;
- Recognise the body’s role in trauma and learn how the body tries to work through trauma and use some basic body-orientated techniques to help the body do this safely;
- Have a good understanding of the immediate and long term effects of PTSD;
- Be introduced to why talking therapies may not help in this initial stage of trauma work;
- Start to work with establishing safety through resourcing & boundary setting;
- Understand the concept of the ‘window of tolerance’ and its importance;
- Understand the “three trauma types” of clients and the implications for therapy and be introduced to three safety protocols and given the opportunity to work with them;
- Be able to identify symptoms of autonomic nervous system arousal and learn how to separate physical from emotional arousal in order to establish safety;
This workshop is for mental health practitioners interested in learning more about the subject area.
Certificate of Attendance and Participation
CPD: 12 Hours
April Intake: Thursday, 02 April and Thursday, 09 April 2020
Times: 9:30am – 4:30pm
This workshop will take place online, using a software called Zoom. Participants will be sent a link to join the online platform before the course commences.
BSc (Hons) Psychology, MIAHIP, ECP.
Patricia works as a humanistic and integrative psychotherapist in private practice and in a community setting and is also engaged in group work with people who have attempted suicide.
For more details please visit our website: www.iicp.ie/cpdcourses/understandingtrauma
IICP Office: 087 9055330