The Learning Curve Institute: Working with People who problematically use alcohol and other drugs - Workshop
NEW: Working with People who problematically use alcohol and other drugs - Workshop
The workshop is eligible for CPD credits from The Addiction Counsellors of Ireland.
This workshop will be delivered by The Learning Curve Institute over one full day in Dublin in May. Over the years alcohol and drug problems have been seen as an area where only professionals with specialist qualifications can help foster meaningful change. This one-day course hopes to debunk this myth and encourage participants to view alcohol and other drug use as a human behaviour which for some people becomes problematic and one where non-specialists can assist in encouraging positive change.
Suitable for: While primarily aimed at allied healthcare professionals this course would be of benefit to anyone working or volunteering in a health or helping role who may come into contact with people who use alcohol and other drugs problematically.
Dates and Location:
- Dublin, Skylon Hotel, Drumcondra, Dublin 9:
06 May 2020 | 09.30am – 04.30pm (Wednesday)
For full details on the course please click here: https://www.thelearningcurve.ie/public-training/new-working-with-people-who-problematically-use-alcohol-and-other-drugs/25
- To encourage participants to view alcohol and other drug use as a human behaviour which for some becomes problematic.
- To highlight how our use of words can be very important in our efforts to engage with people who problematically use alcohol and other drugs.
- To help participants understand the process of change and how this applies to people who problematically use alcohol and other drugs.
- To equip participants with the necessary skills in order to have a brief structured conversation about problematic alcohol or drug use which is more likely to facilitate change.
- A brief historical view of human use of psychotropic substances.
- A brief overview of how alcohol and other drug problems (particularly addiction) have been viewed over the years and currently.
- Prochaska and DiClemente’s Transtheoretical Model of Change (aka The Wheel of Change) and how it applies to real life case studies.
- Participants will be engaged in learning the components of Screening and Brief Intervention skills and encouraged to practice these skills.
At the end of the day the participants should:
- Understand the history of human engagement with psychoactive drugs and how this use has been culturally viewed over the years.
- Be aware how certain words, terms and labels can often create barriers instead of encouraging positive change.
- Be familiar with the process of change as described by Prochaska and DiClemente.
- Be confident in using the necessary skills in order to carry out a productive brief intervention.
Attendees will each receive a Certificate of Completion in ‘Working with People who problematically use Alcohol and other Drugs’ from The Learning Curve Institute. The workshop is eligible for CPD credits from The Addiction Counsellors of Ireland.
About The Learning Curve Institute:
The Learning Curve Institute (LCI) is Ireland’s leading specialist trainer in mental health, addiction and best practice in the workplace providing a bespoke service to healthcare professionals, education establishments and industry.
Some of the organisations and bodies that The LCI has delivered in house training workshops and courses to over the past 10 years are:
- Health Service Executive
- The Probation Service
- The Defence Forces
- Allergan Pharmaceuticals Ireland
- Element Six, De Beers Group
- Merchants Quay
- Maynooth University
- The Simon Communities: Dublin, Dundalk, Galway, Belfast and Cork
- The Homeless Agency
- Peter McVerry Trust
- International School of Lausanne, Switzerland
Price per person: €125.00
This includes all handouts, materials and certificate from The Learning Curve Institute.
The Learning Curve Institute offers a unique post course support system whereby students are provided with the contact details of the trainer and are free to contact him/her with any questions they may have.
To secure a place on the workshop go to: https://www.thelearningcurve.ie/public-training/new-working-with-people-who-problematically-use-alcohol-and-other-drugs/25 and book online. For further information or assistance regarding bookings contact the office on 098 25530 or email email@example.com
Online payment in full is necessary to book a place on this workshop.
The course has a limited amount of spaces available so early booking is highly advisable.