Text About It 50808
50808 is a first of its kind for Ireland: a free 24/7 text service, providing everything from a calming chat to immediate support for people going through a mental health or emotional crisis - big or small.
FREE TEXT 50808 NOW
From breakups or bullying, to anxiety, depression and suicidal feelings, our Crisis Volunteers are available 24/7 for anonymous text conversations. Our aim is to provide immediate support in the short term and connect people to resources that will help them in the future.
The service is funded by the Health Service Executive (HSE).
Do you need help now?
If you’re experiencing a personal crisis, are unable to cope and need support text HELLO to 50808. If your life is at imminent risk, call 999 for emergency help.
We can help with urgent issues such as:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Anxiety, panic or stress
- Depression or sadness
- Isolation or loneliness
- Relationship challenges
- Abuse or assault
- Racism, homophobia, transphobia or any type of discrimination
We know that finding the right support is important, especially if you need someone to talk to right now. We will always try to respond to texters as quickly as possible however our responses will be longer at times of high demand. We will always respond to high risk texters as a priority. If you are at imminent risk call 999.
FREE TEXT 50808 NOW
How does it work?
50808 provides a safe space where you’re listened to by a trained Crisis Volunteer. The Crisis Volunteer will introduce themselves, reflect on what you’ve said, and invite you to share at your own pace. You’ll text back and forth, only sharing what you feel comfortable with. By asking questions, listening to you and responding with support, they will help you sort through your feelings until you both feel you are now in a calm, safe place.
You might be provided with some signposting to other services offered by our partner organisations, so that you can continue to get support. Our service is based on a tried and tested model of crisis support. 50808 staff work alongside our Crisis Volunteers and monitor conversations 24/7.
- If at any time you wish to end the conversation, you can text STOP and you won’t receive any further texts
- If our team believe you or someone else is at imminent risk, we will contact the emergency services to ensure your safety and it will be up to the emergency services to determine how and when they respond
- It’s not a one way process: you won’t be told what to do. You’ll need to work with the Volunteer to address your crisis and look to move forward.
- Our Crisis Volunteers don’t provide clinical advice and the service does not provide therapy or long-term support
- We aim to respond to texters as quickly as possible. When we’re really busy wait times will be longer