Charities Regulator: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Charities – Frequently Asked Questions
This item has expired, and will soon be unavailable for viewing
Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Charities – Frequently Asked Questions
The Charities Regulator is currently open and working on ways to continue our regulatory work and provide supports to Irish charities. However, we are operating with fewer resources and therefore it will take longer than usual for us to answer queries and process applications. The coronavirus (COVID-19) is a constantly changing situation and we are monitoring advice from the HSE and the Department of Health, as well as liaising with our Government Department and other stakeholders to ensure that we can respond to developments as they arise.
It is essential that all charities follow HSE guidance on public health and ensure that measures such as good hand hygiene, social distancing and coughing etiquette are adhered to at all times. Up-to-date HSE guidance can be found here.
The Regulator appreciates the added pressures on many charities at this time. Based on our contacts with charities to date, we are aware of some particular concerns and our responses to these are set out in the FAQs below, which will be kept under review and revised and extended as necessary.
- We are due to file our annual report but staffing and other issues associated with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic mean that we may not meet our deadline. Will we face sanctions if we are late filing our annual report?
- As a charity, we would like to assist with the national effort to deal with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Can we offer our services if this is not covered by our charitable purpose or main object?
- Our charity has been impacted by the inability of employees to attend work due to coronavirus (COVID-19) illness or self-isolation. What should we do?
- In line with HSE guidance regarding ‘social distancing’, or due to a decrease in activity as a result of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, our charity has had to temporarily reduce or cease operations, and may have to lay off employees. What assistance is available to us?
- What can I do if I hear of other people taking advantage of the situation and collecting donations fraudulently?
- We are in the process of registering as a charity. Will coronavirus (COVID-19) impact on our applications?