AONTAS, The National Adult Learning Organisation is seeking to recruit a hands-on, qualified accountant for the newly created position of Finance Lead with HR responsibilities. AONTAS is a non-governmental voluntary membership organisation established in 1969. Its mission is to advocate for the right of all adults in Ireland to quality learning throughout their lives, and to promote the value and benefits of lifelong learning. The organisation’s priorities for the next four years are outlined in the current Strategic Plan, Learning: A Lifetime’s Work adopted by the AONTAS membership in November 2014.
The Purpose of the Finance Lead role is to:
- Manage and report on the financial matters of AONTAS
- Report to and support the CEO
- Contribute to the achievement of AONTAS’ strategic plans as the team leader of the Finance function
Key responsibilities of the Finance Lead will be to:
- Develop and maintain effective financial reporting (management accounts) in order to achieve AONTAS’ operational and strategic objectives. Ensure these financial reports meet good governance standards and are fit for internal reporting purposes.
- Produce regular and reliable financial statements that include Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activity, Statement of Cash Flow and Statement of Functional Expenses. Ensure these financial statements meet all legal and statutory requirements and are SORP compliant.
- Develop and maintain internal and financial controls that effectively manage the finances and finance activities of AONTAS, including policies and procedures, for example cash management, banking protocols, tax compliance and so on.
- Administer and manage internal payroll operations and reconciliations, ensuring wages are paid on time, accurately and in accordance with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Contribute to submissions and ensure funders, for example SOLAS, and other stakeholders are kept up to date at all times and that AONTAS adheres to funder reporting requirements.
- Work closely with the CEO in all respects, contributing significantly to the development of a collaborative culture that embraces all of AONTAS’ stakeholders. This includes collaborating with the CEO to provide the Executive Committee with finance reports to review.
- Develop and manage the Finance function such as team work practices, capabilities, knowledge, performance and employee well-being.
- Work with the CEO to implement company policies and procedures.
- Oversee the HR administration requirements of AONTAS. This includes tracking employee related activity like annual leave and advising on employee relations with the support of third party service providers.
- Contribute to the strategic development of AONTAS as a member of the leadership team.
- At all times, operate to the highest professional, ethical and performance standards. This includes adapting effortlessly to changing circumstances in AONTAS and undertaking, surrendering or realigning any responsibility, within reason, the CEO requires. This job description broadly describes your role however it is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and may vary from time to time to provide for change.
Measures of Success
- Collaborative and productive working relationship with the CEO
- Successful financial audits completed on time
- Reliable financial reporting and statements submitted on time
- Wages paid on time, accurately and legislated credits and deductions applied
- Funding submissions and funder reports completed on time
- Contracts and service agreements in place for service providers that are systematically reviewed and actively managed
- Finance reports written on time and communicated via the CEO to the Executive Committee
- AONTAS is appropriately and securely financed to meet its obligations
- AONTAS is SORP and legally compliant at all times
- HR information is maintained, is accurate and supports sound people management practices
Skills and Attributes:
The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated qualified accountant who is a dynamic self-starter with strong practical skills. The person will have a high level of personal responsibility and be able to cope with and respond positively to change. Specifically, the ideal candidate:
- Will be able to develop an environment that is stable and secure; one in which people can flourish
- Is warm, sensitive to other people’s needs and above all things, collaborative
- Has a high level of personal integrity
- Is meticulous, analytical and focused on results
- Solves problems in a constructive, inclusive and creative manner
- Communicates highly effectively and is approachable
- Can perform at the Civil Service Higher Executive Officer level
Qualifications and Experience
Following are the minimum requirements to be considered for the role:
- Be a Qualified Accountant (newly or otherwise)
- Have practical experience and proven technical competence in developing and maintaining effective financial controls and producing applicable accounts
- Have practical experience of implementing good Governance and legal instruments that apply to Charities, like SORP
- Have proven experience of engaging with internal and external stakeholders at a National level and in a not-for-profit environment
- Have a track record of making balanced, mature decisions
- Have basic HR administration experience
- Have experience of leading a team and growing the capacity of the team members
- The Finance Lead will be based in the AONTAS Head Office located in Ranelagh, Dublin 6
Terms and Conditions
- The Finance Lead reports to the CEO of AONTAS.
- This is a full-time employment contract. A probation period of six months is observed.
- The salary offered will be within the parameters of the salary scale equivalent of a Higher Executive Officer (Higher Scale) in the Civil Service. Candidates should note that entry will be at the minimum of the scale or negotiated depending on the candidate’s current salary.
- AONTAS offers an attractive pension scheme which employees are required to join on completion of probation.
- Annual leave is 29 days with the capacity for extension to 30 days based on length of service.
- AONTAS operates a standard working week, Monday to Friday, of 37 hours. The work of the Finance Lead requires flexibility with some unsocial hours and travel.
- All applications are to be submitted using the following link:
- The closing date for applications is 1st February 2017.
- The first of the interviews are expected to take place in the week commencing 6th February 2017.
- Versari Partners is managing the recruitment of the Finance Lead on behalf of AONTAS. Any queries about this position should be directed to Belinda Brummer at +353 (01) 525 7384. At this time, introductions are not being accepted by recruitment agencies.