AONTAS, The National Adult Learning Organisation is seeking to recruit a self-starter experienced in developing, running and managing events and promotions.
AONTAS is a non-governmental voluntary membership organisation established in 1969. Its mission is to advocate for the right of all adults in Ireland to quality learning throughout their lives, and to promote the value and benefits of lifelong learning. The organisation’s priorities for the next four years are outlined in the current Strategic Plan, Learning: A Lifetime’s Work adopted by the AONTAS membership in November 2014.
The Purpose of the Events Officer role:
- To work closely with the Communications Lead to create and implement a strong events strategy for the organisation over the course of the AONTAS Strategic Plan 2015 – 2018
- To project manage all events from conception to actualisation including the running and promotion thereof
- Work under the direction of the Communications Lead to develop a strong events strategy to support the work of AONTAS during the period of the current strategic plan
- Be responsible for all aspects of AONTAS events, including online, and specifically for AGM, GM, CEN meetings, fairs and expos, in collaboration with other staff
- Develop and implement an online event strategy to engage members
- Strategically plan high-quality, participatory events from inception to delivery and implementing feedback on such into future events
- Develop and implement the Adult Learners’ Festival under the direction of Communications Lead to ensure maximum, quality events during the Festival across Ireland and to be responsible for all elements of STAR awards and assisting with PR tasks that are Festival related in collaboration with the Communications Lead
- Provide event management support for all AONTAS meetings
- Coordinate, and optimize, all social media in relation to events and manage day-to-day online communication
- Maintain and develop the weekly ebulletin, coordinating the information that would benefit members in the bulletin and overseeing the subscription database on Salesforce
- Monitor daily papers and all media to disseminate articles and promote campaigns to staff and members, as appropriate
- Work with the staff team to produce and design material including brochures, submissions, leaflets, strategic plans etc. in relation to all events
- Contribute to the promotion of AONTAS through engaging with stakeholders and representing the organisation as identified with the Communications Lead
- Contribute to developing AONTAS
At all times, operate to the highest professional, ethical and performance standards. This includes adapting effortlessly to changing circumstances in AONTAS and undertaking, surrendering or realigning any responsibility, within reason, the CEO requires.
Measures of Success
- Establishment of an Event Strategy in line with the AONTAS' Strategic Plan, that includes online events
- Events held and promotions run that meet expectations
- Clear evidence of collaboration across teams in the delivery of key objectives
Skills and Attributes:
The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated person who is a dynamic self-starter with strong practical skills. The person will have a high level of personal responsibility and be able to cope with and respond positively to change. Specifically the ideal candidate:
- Is a confident team player
- Steps in to manage crises, thinking quickly to solve problems and identifying preventative measures
- Is comfortable working flexibly in response to event requirements
- Adapts well in a dynamic work environment
- Has a can-do-will-do attitude
- Makes great priority calls, consistently
- Has high levels of personal and professional integrity
- Is meticulous and pays attention to the small things and stays focused on getting results
- Wants to learn and seeks out opportunities to make that happen
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Educated to Degree level, preferably with an Event Management Qualification
- Have strong multi-disciplinary approach and background, with wide ranging skill in the area of event management
- Have at least three years' experience of event management, including technical understanding of event and conference facilities
- Have experience of PR
- Be competent in a range of IT packages and social media platforms
- Be a powerful communicator and have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to bring people along
- Have proven skills to plan and coordinate resources and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- The Events Officer will be based in the AONTAS Head Office located in Ranelagh, Dublin 6
Terms and Conditions
- The Events Officer reports to the Communication Lead.
- This is a full-time employment contract for the period of the Strategic Plan 2015 – 2018.
- A probation period of six months is observed.
- The salary offered will be within the parameters of the salary scale equivalent of an Executive Officer (Higher Scale) in the Civil Service. Candidates should note that entry will be at the minimum of the scale or negotiated depending on the candidate’s current salary.
- AONTAS offers an attractive pension scheme which employees are required to join on completion of probation.
- Annual leave is 23 days with the capacity for extension to 25 days based on length of service.
- AONTAS operates a standard working week, Monday to Friday, of 37 hours. The work of the Events Officer requires flexibility with some unsocial hours and travel.
- All applications are to be submitted using the following link: https://versari.workable.com/j/976EB47D95
- The closing date for applications is 1st February 2017.
- The first of the interviews are expected to take place in the week commencing 6th February 2017.
- Versari Partners is managing the recruitment of the Events Officer on behalf of AONTAS. Any queries about this position should be directed to Belinda Brummer at +353 (01) 525 7384. At this time, introductions are not being accepted by recruitment agencies.