Nasc Ireland is recruiting a Legal Intern (4 days per week / 30 hours)
Nasc is an independent human rights organisation based in Cork City. We link migrants to their rights and seek to enable migrants to access justice and human rights. We work to ensure a just, inclusive and integrated society.
Reporting to a Legal Officer, the legal intern will gain experience in the practical application of aspects of asylum, immigration and social welfare law.
This is an unpaid internship, but a small stipend for expenses will be available. Ongoing supervision and regular opportunities to provide feedback will ensure that the intern is getting the most from the internship.
Main Function: To support the work of the Legal Team and assist in the provision of information and advice at first instance through the walk-in service. This internship would suit a recent graduate.
Duration: The internship is available from June 2017 for a 6 month period.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing support to the daily operation of the legal clinics - in particular the operation of the Walk-in service;
- Addressing individual queries as they arise through the legal clinics;
- Drafting letters/emails clients, government departments, NGOs, INGOs and other relevant organisations;
- Conducting research (legal and non-legal);
- Administrative tasks;
- Working in co-operation with other NGOs and the legal profession;
- Other tasks as may be reasonably required.
- Law Degree (please include subjects taken and results on CV). Graduates with knowledge of refugee law, human rights law, public international law and international humanitarian law are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, experience, skills relevant for the position:
- No experience required however, previous experience working in a similar position may be an advantage;
- Commitment to social justice and human rights;
- Enthusiastic and motivated;
- Ability to work as part of a team under close supervision and on own initiative;
- Strong time management skills;
- Analytical and drafting skills;
- Strong verbal and written ability in English;
- Understanding of ethical and confidentiality issues;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office.
Please apply by sending a CV and cover letter, outlining your suitability for the internship to email@example.com by 5pm on 25th May 2017. Please indicate ‘Legal Internship’ in the subject line.