About Dublin Simon Community
Dublin Simon Community works to prevent and address homelessness in Dublin, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow. We provide services at all stages of homelessness and enable people to move to a place they can call home.
Dublin Simon Community has an extensive Full-Time Volunteering programme. The Volunteer Placement Programme consists of an in-depth induction, on site training with an emphasis on reflective practice - both formal and non formal learning.
Our Full-Time Volunteers will be given the opportunity to complete a Fetac Level 6 in Volunteering in conjunction with the Dublin Institute of Technology.
The Volunteer will be given the opportunity to train alongside qualified staff in our projects and to gain practical experience in Addiction, Mental Health and Social Care settings.
We also provide accommodation (when available). There is a weekly allowance and, as stated above, training, mentoring and supervision for all Full-Time Volunteers. All out of pocket expenses that are incurred in direct relation to your placement with Dublin Simon Community will be reimbursed. In return we ask that Full-Time Volunteers give 35 hours per week in our services. This can be over a 7 day period.
Many people use the opportunity of Full time volunteering to gain essential experience, skills and training in Addictions, Mental health issues and Social Care to further develop a career in this area. Others choose Full-Time Volunteering to grow as individuals, to take time out from study / paid work or to finally make that career change.
You must be 18+ and be in a position to make a commitment of 9 -12 months volunteering with the Dublin Simon Community. All applications go through the Dublin Simon Community Volunteering recruitment process and are subject to Garda vetting and reference checking.
The following are the services that Full-Time Volunteers could be placed in:
- Housing services – Long term supported Housing and Visiting Tenancy Support
- Emergency Services - Rough Sleeper Team, Short-term emergency accommodation
- Treatment Services: Detox, Recovery, Aftercare & Respite
To apply please complete the FTV application form available on our website here
What's required for this position
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to a placement of between 9 and 12 months.
- An ability to reflect on work practice and a desire to learn good working practices.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Commitment to working in a non-judgemental way.
- Commitment to the Dublin Simon Community ethos and values.
- Commitment to working alongside staff and clients in a respectful way.
- Knowledge of homelessness and the issues affecting those experiencing it.
- Knowledge of addiction and mental health issues.
- Good housekeeping skills such as cleaning.
- Record keeping/ IT skills.
- Good sense of professional boundaries.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Advocacy/ Lobbyist
- Community Development/ Social work
- Education/ Training
- General Admin/ Office Support
- Personable Skills
Location of volunteering opportunity:
- Various locations in Dublin and Wicklow
Screening details for this role:
- Formal Interview
- Garda Vetting
- Application Form
- Identification Check (photo ID etc…)
Volunteers will be provided with the following supports:
- Support/ advice/ recognition
- Initial induction and training
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Insurance cover
- Ongoing training opportunities
Benefits you will receive as a volunteer
- DIT Fetac Level 6 Certificate in Volunteering
- Weekly Living Allowance
- Provision of accommodation where available
- Regular support, supervision and mentoring
- Ongoing training
For more information or to request a role description, please contact FTV@dubsimon.ie
To apply, please ask for an application form via FTV@dubsimon.ie
Closing date: 5pm, Friday, 5th May 2017