Motivational Interviewing Workshop, Community Addiction Studies (QQI Level 5) starting September
The Learning Curve Institute will be delivering a Motivational Interviewing workshop and an Addiction Studies course this September. Course details are outlined below or click into our webpages:
An Introduction to Motivational Interviewing Workshop – September:
This Motivational Interviewing training workshop is delivered by The Learning Curve Institute over two full days in Dublin this September. Motivational Interviewing is a client-centered approach that elicits behavioural changes by assisting individuals to explore and resolve ambivalence. This approach is especially helpful with individuals who are less motivated. Research has shown Motivational Interviewing to be helpful with a wide range of client groups and issues. This two day course will equip the attendees with a sound understanding of Motivational Interviewing theory and skills.
Please note this workshop has been approved by The Irish Nursing Board, An Bord Altranais, The Addiction Counsellors of Ireland and the Psychological Society of Ireland for CPD points.
The course is ideal for anyone working in addiction, counselling or in the community or voluntary sector who would like to upskill and be trained in Motivational Interviewing from one of Ireland’s top addiction trainers. Dates and Location:
- Dublin, Skylon Hotel, Drumcondra:
21 Sept – 22 Sept | 10am – 4pm
This includes all handouts, materials and certificate from The Learning Curve Institute.
The course has a limited amount of spaces available so early booking is highly advisable.
For full details on the course please click here:
About the Course:
Developed by Miller and Rollnick, Motivational Interviewing is a client-centered approach that elicits behavioural changes by assisting individuals to explore and resolve ambivalence. This approach is especially helpful with individuals who are less motivated. Research has shown Motivational Interviewing to be helpful with a wide range of client groups and issues. This two day course will equip the attendees with a sound understanding of Motivational Interviewing theory and skills.
The objective of this two day workshop is to provide the theory of Motivational Interviewing and the space to practise the skills associated with Motivational Interviewing.
- To equip students with the tools to enable them to develop and build on their own counselling skills.
- To build on and expand existing knowledge in relation to Motivational Interviewing within the group.
- To enhance confidence in participants’ use of Motivational Interviewing Skills.
- To become familiar with the general Principles of Motivational Interviewing
- Express empathy
- Develop discrepancy
- Roll with resistance
- Support self-efficacy
- Avoid arguments.
- To provide space and time for participants to become familiar with Motivational Interviewing and use the following core skills:
- Use of Open-ended questions
- Reflective Listening
- Eliciting “change talk”
Attendees will each be awarded a Certificate in “An Introduction to Motivational Interviewing” from The Learning Curve Institute.
The QQI Level 5 (Minor Award) Community Addiction Studies
This course will be delivered part-time over 10 weeks by The Learning Curve Institute in Dublin, Mayo (Castlebar) and Cork.
The Community Addiction Studies QQI Award (Minor) level 5 is aimed at participants who wish to expand their knowledge of addiction, drugs and their use/misuse.
Learners who successfully complete the QQI Minor Award will:
- gain a knowledge of addiction, different drugs and their effects
- become familiar with the process of addiction
- gain a knowledge of how addiction affects individuals, families, and communities
- develop skills in communicating about drug/alcohol issues and addiction
- develop skills in understanding appropriate responses to addiction
- develop a critical awareness of attitudes towards addiction
Programme Duration: The programme consists of 36 hours contact time between students and lecturers; 24 hours total classroom time with another 12 hours online contribution/discussion time. A further 30 hours of self-directed learning is recommended for sucessful completion of the module by the learner.
- Dublin: 03/10/17 – 05/12/17; Tuesday Nights; 6pm-9pm; Skylon Hotel, Drumcondra, Dublin 9
- Mayo: 03/10/17 – 05/12/17; Tuesday Nights; 6pm-9pm; Mayo Education Centre, Castlebar
- Cork: 04/10/17 – 06/12/17; Wednesday Nights; 6pm-9pm; CIT
For further details please click on the following link:
* Discount available for the unemployed
* Interest free payment by instalment plans available for standard course fees
* €4 from every booking is donated to Barretstown and Crumlin Childrens Hospital
* An additional certification fee of €20 is payable to QQI for those who are not on social welfare benefits.
About The Learning Curve Institute:
The Learning Curve Institute is a QQI (formerly FETAC) Registered Provider of education programmes, workshops and training courses specialising in the areas of Addiction, Mental Health and Counselling. The LCI runs its QQI Level 5 and 6 courses in Addiction and Mental Health in 9 different counties across Ireland. The company has delivered training on behalf of the HSE on Keyworking, Care Planning and Case Management to groups of addiction personnel and staff in 10 different locations around Ireland.
Some of the organisations and bodies that The LCI has delivered in house training workshops and courses to over the past 8 years are:
- The Dublin, Dundalk, Galway, Belfast and Cork Simon Communities
- DePaul Ireland
- The Probation Service
- The Defence Forces
- The Homeless Agency
- Good Shepherd Services Cork
- The Adult Homeless Persons Office
- The Ana Liffey Drug Project
- Bushypark Treatment Centre
- Southill Family Resource Centre
The Learning Curve Institute offers a unique post course support system whereby students are provided with the contact details of the lecturer and are free to contact him/her with any questions they may have.