The Open Training College (OTC) is delighted to announce 25 years of delivering educational programmes to the Nonprofit/Disability and Community/Voluntary sectors. To help commence the celebrations, the OTC is now offering an early bird discount to one candidate who applies for a place on one of the accredited courses in Social Care, and one candidate who applies for a place on one of the accredited courses in Management. Apply before June 30th, 2017, to be included in the draw!
The OTC is a third level institution of education delivering programmes leading to QQI awards at Levels 5-8 on the National Framework of Qualifications. Courses are delivered to senior managers, managers, supervisors, and frontline staff. The College is a member of the Higher Education Colleges Association (HECA) which comprises most of the major independent colleges in Ireland.
In its 25 year history, the OTC has worked with over 220 organisations operating within the Nonprofit/Disability and Community/Voluntary sectors. The College has used this combination of expertise and experience to build a range of consultancy services around customised training solutions.
The OTC is committed to offering staff learning opportunities which are accredited, accessible and embody best practice. The College, in all of its programmes, seeks to enhance the status of people in receipt of health and personal social services who may be excluded from mainstream society, through the use of positive language and imagery, and by supporting their inclusion into ordinary life.
All College programmes are underpinned by the principles of supporting empowerment, honouring rights and working in partnership. We aim to ensure that on completion of programmes these principles have not simply been 'studied' by participants but have become part of their fundamental way of working with people.
In 2010 the OTC won a national AONTAS award based on our unique blended (online and face to face) supported open learning model, and in 2016 the College won the international IELA eLearning award facing down stiff competition from established colleges and universities located around the globe.
QQI accredited courses (now accepting applications for the Early Bird discount):
- BA in Professional Social Care (Disability), 3-years, Level 7
- Honours BA in Professional Social Care (Disability), 1-year, Level 8
- Certificate in Applied Management (Non-profit/Human Services), 1-year, Level 6
- Higher Cert in Applied Management (Non-profit/Human Services), 1-year, Level 6
- BA in Applied Management (Non-profit/Human Services), 1-year, Level 7
Specialised Short Courses (12 weeks or less):
- Focus on the Individual: Person Centred Planning (Level 6)
- Skills for Positive Behaviour Supports (Level 5)
- Certificate in Supported Employment (Level 7)
- Cert in Teaching Strategies for People with Disabilities (Level 7)
- Exploring Disability – A Sociological and Historical Perspective (Level 6)
- Professional Practice and Ethics (Level 6)
- Key Management Skills: Teamwork, Leadership & Communications (Level 6)
- Managing Service Quality (Level 6)
- Cert in Training and Development (Level 6)
Consultancy Services, including:
The College has also supported agencies to explore the movement to online delivery of regulatory learning, identifying key supports and barriers to this delivery method. The most recent addition to the suite of online courses offered by the OTC is the Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults online course which can be undertaken by individuals or groups of individuals within agencies.
Aine Melinn, Assistant College Director and founding member of the OTC team states, 'Upon reaching our 25th anniversary, it's clear that the Open Training College has created a unique environment in which people from the human services and nonprofit sectors can learn and work together in ways that make a real difference to those citizens who use their services. We look forward to another 25 years!'
More information about the College can be viewed HERE.